The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members attending board meetings

Guest Pam Tindle

When I asked if a member of a society could attend board meetings, I was referring to meetings of the board as a whole, not meetings of the executive. My question still is - can a member of an organization attend meetings of the board as a whole?

Mr. Elsman's response still holds.

If that is the case, what is the purpose of having open and closed meetings? While on the school board, there were specific open and closed meetings and during an open meeting, if matters of finance and personnel came up, we would go 'in camera'.

Under RONR only members of the body which is meeting have a right to attend the meetings whether it is open or closed. What you are talking about involves laws that would supersede RONR or customized rules that would supersede RONR as well.

I am confused by Guest Guest (also Pam Tindle?) wrote, "I was referring to meetings of the board as a whole, not meetings of the executive." I'm guessing that this means that the board has its own "board within a board," which it calls the executive (Robert's Rules call the sub-board an "executive committee," at least it did until 2000. Maybe not this week ... one may hope). Pam Tindle (or Guest Guest, which the software often calls people when they post twice), is that it?

In any event, Ms Tindle should be clear that by "the body," Chris H means any distinct group. If the group meeting is the "executive," and if it is a group distinct from the board as a whole (even if the executive is a part of the board), then it, like the board itself, is a body in the sense that Chris H uses the term.

(I'm reminded of the time a few years ago when I labored on an explanation like this one, concluding with the observation that I might have said nothing useful. To which Mr Honemann cheerfully replied, "But don't let that stop you."

(Made my day.)

If that is the case, what is the purpose of having open and closed meetings?

When a board meets in executive session, a duty of confidentiality is placed on the board members not to discuss what happened at the meeting, except for those details the board chooses to disclose. There may be instances in which the board does not wish to have general members of the society present, but does not wish to impose a duty of confidentiality upon board members.

While on the school board, there were specific open and closed meetings and during an open meeting, if matters of finance and personnel came up, we would go 'in camera'.

As a public body, the school board is likely bound by your state's Open Meeting Law or "Sunshine Law." Such laws typically require that meetings be open to the public except when particular matters are discussed. Private organizations are generally not bound by such laws. Consult a lawyer or the office of your state's Secretary of State if you have further questions on this topic.

Archived