The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Written Motions

JayW

When presenting a complex motion and submitting it in writing, is it permissible to have copies of the motion available to distribute to the membership? We have a large membership and I am quite sure that one reading is not going to be enough that everyone will have a clear idea on what they're being asked to vote. If they could have a copy of the motion to review, it would prevent confusion. RONR (finally got my 10th Edition back, just in time for the 11th!) doesn't say you can't do this, but it doesn't say you can, either. Our Bylaws are silent about written motions at membership meetings.

Thanks!

Nothing in RONR says that a member has a right to hand out the motion in writing to all members. However, the member could ask for unanimous consent to hand them out to the other members. If no one objects then the papers can be handed out but if someone does object then a vote would have to be taken without any debate and majority rules (RONR/10 p. 281 line 15, pp. 287-288).

Nothing in RONR prohibits it. So go ahead. (I presume it wouldn't be disruptive. P. 382 in the edition that about seventeen people have the updated edition of.)

I would not object to permission being granted to hand out the papers unless it was obviously being done for dilatory purposes or would be disruptive. However, I don't believe that anything in RONR grants a member the right to unilaterally hand out the papers without first seeking the assembly's permission.

O Chris. Our first quarrel.

I think we have had more than one quarrel over the ages although I try not to quarrel with you if I know what is good for me. :)

(What on p. 281, in the Old Right Book??)

That the request to hand out the papers is not debatable.

Chris, where do you get that a non-disruptive passing out papers needs permission? (Suppose they were at everyone's chair when they file in?)

I get that because I don't think that anything in RONR actually gives a member the right to hand out papers to the other members. If the papers are already in the members' chairs when they arrive I suppose it would be a fait accompli.

But Chris, what prohibits it?

Nothing but nothing gives the member the right to do it either without permission.

How is handing out a paper substantially different from whispering (top of Old Page 382 again)?

Good question. I guess that I see it as slightly more disruptive to the assembly then quietly moving around or having a whispered consultation with a member or two.

Suppose they were in a stack by the entrance, for everyone to pick up a copy of as they enter (not even in the meeting room)?

Then the meeting probably hasn't started and the member can do whatever he wants. :) Seriously though, if it is just sitting on a table the member is free to take the paper (or not) and someone grabbing a copy off the table is less disruptive then the member being distracted by being given a pile of papers to pass around or seeing someone walking around the room and hearing the shuffling of the papers while they are being passed out.

But Chris, what prohibits it? How is handing out a paper substantially different from whispering (top of Old Page 382 again)?

Suppose they were in a stack by the entrance, for everyone to pick up a copy of as they enter (not even in the meeting room)?

The assembly is in control of its meeting hall and can regulate the distribution of papers or other materials as it wishes. The member's distribution of papers at a meeting is a privilege, not a right. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 299, ll. 20-35.

Where is that in a book not owned by a privileged few so far?

(Come on, people. This is silly.)

I'm not sure what you are replying to. If it's my previous reply, the citation is given there. In the cited passage, it is made clear that requests for these kinds of privileges can often be handled informally or by a unanimous consent request. Strictly speaking, though, the right to decide belongs to the assembly, not the individual member.

Page 35 of the 11th Edition mentions "if the text of a resolution has been distributed to the members in advance...." so apparently that sort of thing is allowed in some circumstances. (Would that apply to motions or just resolutions? We could make this motion as a resolution but it might be a little clunky to do so.) I haven't seen where it states who can/must/cannot distribute the resolution -- a table outside the meeting room would work in our situation, as would passing out the text a day or two before the meeting (the meeting is part of a week-long event).

Page 35 of the 11th Edition mentions "if the text of a resolution has been distributed to the members in advance...." so apparently that sort of thing is allowed in some circumstances.

You can do just about anything outside of a meeting and not violate any rule in RONR. All of this has been going on a little long. Just pass out the text of your intended motion before the meeting.

(Would that apply to motions or just resolutions? We could make this motion as a resolution but it might be a little clunky to do so.)

A resolution is just a particular format of motion. The terms are often used interchangeably, and I'm sure that is the case here.

I haven't seen where it states who can/must/cannot distribute the resolution -- a table outside the meeting room would work in our situation, as would passing out the text a day or two before the meeting (the meeting is part of a week-long event).

The bottom line is that the assembly may control its hall during a meeting, and may therefore decide whether you may distribute copies of a resolution. RONR doesn't regulate conduct outside of meetings.

RONR doesn't regulate conduct outside of meetings.

… with plenty of notable exceptions (e.g. secrecy of proceedings from executive session must be preserved; secretary must make minutes and records available upon request, must notify persons of their election or appointment, must send notice to members; etc.)

Archived