The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Specific Quorum Question

PPCC SG ProTem

Our Student Government members asked a question, to which I could not find an answer. Is the elected president, who facilitates the meetings and only votes to make or break ties, counted toward the quorum requirements? This is for the joint sessions of the executive and senate branches. It does not involve the president's presence on committees. Thanks for the assistance.

You might want to take a look at this previous thread, with attention to posts #8 and #14 by Josh Martin. The upshot of that thread is that since your rules change the way the President's voting rights are defined, you (your membership) will need to interpret them and figure out what they mean and how they apply. Guidelines for bylaw interpretation can be found in RONR (11th Edition) on pages 588-591.

--------------

For followers here, the OP also posted this in another thread:

This brings up a question I am trying to get answered. If the elected president of a body (in our case, a student government; not a committee) is only allowed by constitution and/or by-laws to vote to break ties or make ties, is this president a "voting member" of the body?

Our Student Government members asked a question, to which I could not find an answer. Is the elected president, who facilitates the meetings and only votes to make or break ties, counted toward the quorum requirements? This is for the joint sessions of the executive and senate branches. It does not involve the president's presence on committees. Thanks for the assistance.

While Mr. Foulkes is busy jumping to conclusions, I would say it sounds like your president is a voting member and would count toward the quorum… barring any rules that specifically say or cleverly insinuate otherwise.

Thank you for the assists and references. I will check them out. Right now, it looks like the answer lies in how our constitution and by-laws define voting member. That is where things could get dodgy, because our faculty adviser is not keen on enforcing interpretation.

Why is the faculty adviser doing the interpretation and enforcing? That duty should lie with the members.

Archived