The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Convert Page Numbers from RONR/10 to RONR/11

jstackpo

If you reference (or remember) an RONR/10 page number and you want the RONR/11 equivalent, this little formula will find it for you, to within a page or two (nobody's perfect!):

Get your little calculator out and...

Multiply the RONR/10 page by 1.03

Add 0.46

And there you are!

For the mathematically/statistically inclined, this formula is a linear regression of the slope / intercept form based on the corresponding first pages of each chapter in the books, plus the last pages -- 21 data pairs.

Slope (dy/dx) = 1.03322

y intercept = 0.46013

y = 0.46 + 1.03 * x

x = RONR/10 page; y = RONR/11 page

As noted this works to within a page or two of the correct RONR/11 page.

I find that leafing around in the vicinity of where the stuff should be (i.e. used to be in the 10th edition), but just increasing the page offset as I find myself further back in the book works pretty well too. A much less carefully analyzed approach, I concede.

Interesting post.

Although, I do find myself wondering what the typical visitor to the forum will make of this whole thread :)

But Trina and Chris, that's just what John said. If I do understand what he said, it's add three percent plus a half-page. Chris, if the Eleventh places the discussion of absentee voting in the same order, that's p. 408: so add 12 pages (three percent of 400), which, as small board members know, is about a dozen, and close to 15. And Dr Stackpole merely quantifies what Trina unsurprisingly, instinctively applied with characterisitic heuristic intuitive brilliance*.

And I'm appalled to know this -- I was appalled and astonished to see it in the previous version of the website -- but the typical visitor to this forum is ... us. Knowing the millions of copies of Robert's Rules ("inclusive," per p. vi in RONR 10th -- must be about p. vi.06 + .46 in RONR 11th) out there, plus the decades' worth of knockoffs, I had for years imagined the passive readership to routinely be in the hundreds.

_________

* Weekly suck-up quota

Archived