The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the President vote in Exec. meeting

Guest collegeadvisor7

Guest collegeadvisor7

Hi there,

I'm a newer college advisor working with a college student government which consists of an executive board: P/VP/S/T, as well as 18 other single members from each club on campus.

In a recent executive meeting, a vote was called related to how funds were to be dispersed among clubs. The VP/S/T each voted, but the P did not think he could vote. His vote would have caused a tie.

1. Should the P be able to vote in this type of situation?
  2. In the case of a tie, what would then occur regarding the situation - does it then go to the entire SG to vote?

Thank you.

Hi there,

I'm a newer college advisor working with a college student government which consists of an executive board: P/VP/S/T, as well as 18 other single members from each club on campus.

In a recent executive meeting, a vote was called related to how funds were to be dispersed among clubs. The VP/S/T each voted, but the P did not think he could vote. His vote would have caused a tie.

1. Should the P be able to vote in this type of situation?
  2. In the case of a tie, what would then occur regarding the situation - does it then go to the entire SG to vote?

Thank you.

The president, if a member of the assembly, can always vote whenever his vote would affect the result.

When a motion requires a majority vote for adoption, a tie means that the motion is rejected.

I'd also mention that since you know the number of votes on each side, you apparently employed one of the counted methods of voting, including by ballot. If by ballot, the chair should have voted right along with all the other members, and could do so afterward only with the permission of the assembly. If another method was employed, and the vote was 8-9 (you don't say which way it went), the chair's (presumed affirmative) vote would have been meaningless anyway, since the motion was already defeated.

Archived