The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electing New Positions

I am President of my Fraternity and some of my brothers have decided to take a few jokes into official positions. The positions they want to install (and become committee chairs of) are:

Committee of Chairs (In charge of making sure we have nice seats)

Committee of Commandeering (Procurer of items the Fraternity needs by "finding" them)

These were a joke but now they want to vote to make them official positions. I managed to get them tabled to the next meeting but more than a few are serious about voting them in.

In our constitution it states the President elects members into committees, or creates new committees, not already called for.

Is there anything in RONR that can prevent these positions from being created?

Ultimately, no rule in RONR prevents a deliberative assembly from exercising its powers with respect to questions that fall within its scope of authority.

Many student organizations have fancifully named officer positions and committees, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on the sort of image you want to portray to your members, prospective members, and the wider university community.

Of course, in any event, it's probably not wise to have an officially recognized committee in charge of stealing things, but there's no rule in RONR against it.

Sure. If this is a proposed Constitutional amendment the fraternity can vote it down. If they just want you to create the committees then don't do it.

But, the president doesn't necessarily have that power, does he? Even in organizations where the president creates and populates committees, wouldn't the assembly still have authority to tell him to create a committee that the assembly wishes to have created? Perhaps it comes down to bylaws interpretation, whether the president has exclusive authority over whether a new committee is created.

Archived