The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what is motionable?

Guest Debbie

At a recent meeting somone make a motion on an item that I don't believe is motionable. Can someone please explain to me what needs to be made into a motion and what doesn't. Is it just changes to policy etc or is there more to it?

We are a soccer organization and someone made a motion to have someone ratified as a coach, I don't think that is required, I think we can just vote on whether on not this person be accept as a coach or not. I don't believe motions have been made on this issue in the past.

Thanks

Debbie

At a recent meeting somone make a motion on an item that I don't believe is motionable. Can someone please explain to me what needs to be made into a motion and what doesn't. Is it just changes to policy etc or is there more to it?

We are a soccer organization and someone made a motion to have someone ratified as a coach, I don't think that is required, I think we can just vote on whether on not this person be accept as a coach or not. I don't believe motions have been made on this issue in the past.

Thanks

Debbie

Business is ordinarily introduced to the assembly by way of making a main motion. However, sometimes it is proper for a main motion to be assumed--that is, the question is stated by the chair without a formal motion having been made. Take a look at RONR, Off. Interp. 2007-1, www.robertsrules.com.

I don't know if they misused it. Sounds to me as if 1 person wants to ratify the guy as a coach, and the other wants to vote him in as coach. Maybe the nomenclature is slightly off, but I wonder if there's a nickel's worth of difference between what they want as a result. How to get there? Either way it sounds as if business (be it ratifying, voting, blessing, sanctioning, high-fiving or ordaining) is being introduced. Why not a motion?

I don't think that is required, I think we can just vote on whether on not this person be accept as a coach or not. I don't believe motions have been made on this issue in the past.

What you're voting on is the motion, whether stated (preferably) or assumed, that Joe be named as coach. If no one is opposed to Joe being coach, the motion (again, either expressed or implied) could be adopted (i.e. passed) by unanimous consent (i.e. without objection).

A motion is simply a proposal that the assembly do something (e.g. appoint Joe as coach).

Umm .... actually, if you don't mind, it would be better if your members made motions to do things -- which is what motions are for. I suggest that the word "ratify" be avoided, unless it is used either for what it means in plain English, or in its special parliamentary meaning. Otherwise the word is being misused to mean something that it doesn't, which causes confusion.

(O tc. Our first quarrel.)

I don't know if they misused it. Sounds to me as if 1 person wants to ratify the guy as a coach, and the other wants to vote him in as coach. Maybe the nomenclature is slightly off, but I wonder if there's a nickel's worth of difference between what they want as a result. How to get there? Either way it sounds as if business (be it ratifying, voting, blessing, sanctioning, high-fiving or ordaining) is being introduced. Why not a motion?

The reasons for employing the correct nomenclature will have at least two benefits:

1. As GcT noted, doing otherwise can lead to confusion at meetings, and possibly causing situations to develop needlessly (such as a Point of Order, and possibly Appeal, when neither is warranted).
  2. It makes it easier to provide correct answers and citations on this forum.

While the decision to accept Joe as a coach can be "reconsidered" (in its every day usage), it cannot be Reconsidered (in its parliamentary usage) after the meeting at which it has been made is adjourned. Likewise, a motion to ratify is an incidental main motion used to confirm an action already taken (Joe voted in as coach at previous meeting). If that vote hasn't yet been taken, there's nothing to Ratify.

Archived