The Official RONR Q & A Forums

City Council Meetings

Guest michele

Was just curious about how the 1st amendment affects the Rules of a City Council Meeting. I read an article in our local Newspaper about the 1st Amendment. During a council meeting someone from the audience kept on asking questions and making comments while the meeting was going on. One of the council members asked/told this person that they needed to be quiet and stop interupting. Granted this person was a former council member. I do know that there are Rules governed by the Attorney General on how Council meetings are suppose to take place. Granted there is time before the meeting where the public can make comments on items NOT on the Agenda. Which in turn this person was making comments about items on the Agenda. Can someone please help me with this.

Granted I am for Free Speech and I feel that everyone has that right. But when it becomes a nuissence and disrupts order when is enough is enough.

Was just curious about how the 1st amendment affects the Rules of a City Council Meeting. I read an article in our local Newspaper about the 1st Amendment. During a council meeting someone from the audience kept on asking questions and making comments while the meeting was going on. One of the council members asked/told this person that they needed to be quiet and stop interupting. Granted this person was a former council member. I do know that there are Rules governed by the Attorney General on how Council meetings are suppose to take place. Granted there is time before the meeting where the public can make comments on items NOT on the Agenda. Which in turn this person was making comments about items on the Agenda. Can someone please help me with this.

Granted I am for Free Speech and I feel that everyone has that right. But when it becomes a nuissence and disrupts order when is enough is enough.

Non-members of the council do not have the right to speak in debate, interrupt the proceedings, or annoy the council. The presiding officer should take special care to enforce the rules with respect to non-members who are present. If necessary, the presiding officer can order the ejection of the offender (subject to appeal by any two members of the council).

When a non-member is permitted or entitled to attend a meeting, he is obligated to obey the rules of decorum that prohibit creating any kind of disturbance that would hinder the transaction of business.

Archived