The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reviving a motion after lack of a second

Guest Bill

the motion died for lack of a second at a previous meeting. will be meeting again, and the same motion will be made...is that proper, and what is my explanation to the group as to what rule allows it?

'At any later session... any motion that is still applicable can normally be renewed' (RONR 11th ed. p. 88 ll. 18-20)

'Any motion that is still applicable can be renewed at any later session, except where a specific rule prevents its renewal...' (p.337 ll 22-23)

Even a motion that is fully debated, and voted down, can be made again at the next meeting, from scratch -- as if it had never been made before. A motion that doesn't get a second can be made again even at the very same meeting (see Mr. Honemann's comment above). Certainly there is no impediment to making the motion again at a later meeting.

Are Guest_Bill and Guest_Guest the same poster?

Sort of (in my view anyway..)

Doing nothing - i.e., not seconding - is a decision of sorts, enough of one to require the unseconded motion to go in the minutes, but it takes a "positive" decision - actually voting, whether up, down, postpone, commit, &c. - to erect a sufficient barrier to prevent same-meeting renewal.

A related question: If an unseconded motion is, later in the same meeting, made and this time seconded, (and eventually disposed of) does the first instance of the unseconded motion still go in the minutes?

Doing nothing - i.e., not seconding - is a decision of sorts, enough of one to require the unseconded motion to go in the minutes, but it takes a "positive" decision - actually voting, whether up, down, postpone, commit, &c. - to erect a sufficient barrier to prevent same-meeting renewal.

A related question: If an unseconded motion is, later in the same meeting, made and this time seconded, (and eventually disposed of) does the first instance of the unseconded motion still go in the minutes?

Yes

If any of the details are different, such as the maker or the wording, it is essential that it be included.

If it is identical, I think it does more GOOD than harm to INCLUDE it, and I suppose, for clarity, it could be recorded as the following:

A motion by Ms. Taylor "That the fence be painted green," after initially dying for lack of a second, was later adopted after debate.

Does this mean I have to update the minutes article in the National Parliamentarian? I think Tim has the right idea to include the action in passing.

No, you don't need any explanation when you renew the motion next time. In general, it's proper to put the burden of proof on those who are claiming that you can't do something.

Trina's citations verify your position, but the main point is that you can renew a failed motion at the next session because there is no rule against doing so, and if someone says there is, let them give you a citation to prove it. (They won't be able to.)

Revisiting a motion that passed is more complicated, because things may already be in effect as a result, but a failed motion didn't do anything, so there's less worry about what might need to be undone.

Archived