The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairpersons right to make a motion

Jason B

I was recently appointed to a city commission, my first, and was elected chairman for the commission. I was admonished recently for making a motion, and told as chairman, I am not able to to make motions. Is this correct?

From the perspective of RONR, it is certainly not correct that you are "not able" to make motions. The chairman, if a member of the assembly, always has the right to make motions. In larger assemblies, the chair should refrain from making motions while presiding. It is usual for chairs of committees and small boards (about 12 members or fewer) to make motions while presiding, but some small boards choose to use the rules for larger assemblies, and some assemblies choose to have their committees use the rules for full assemblies.

Of course, since this is a public body, you should also check into whether there are any applicable laws on this issue, as they would supersede RONR.

Our Park and Recreation commission has 5 members. The person who 'admonished" me was actually a city employee that was presenting a report. There were a few items that were incorrect in the report, and after a brief discussion among the members, I made a motion to strike from his proposal the items that were wrong. He interrupted me to say I wasn't allowed to make this motion. One of my fellow commissioners immediately repeated my motion, which I then put to a vote. It passed with all "yays", much to his chagrin I believe. I think I probably need to discuss it with city staff to clarify if there is some rules that supersede RONR.

Our Park and Recreation commission has 5 members. The person who 'admonished" me was actually a city employee that was presenting a report. There were a few items that were incorrect in the report, and after a brief discussion among the members, I made a motion to strike from his proposal the items that were wrong. He interrupted me to say I wasn't allowed to make this motion. One of my fellow commissioners immediately repeated my motion, which I then put to a vote. It passed with all "yays", much to his chagrin I believe. I think I probably need to discuss it with city staff to clarify if there is some rules that supersede RONR.

As chairman, it's your duty to know the rules. Read the governing documents; study them; memorize them.

When a member says something is not allowed, you need to make a ruling on it, based on the rules. Nonmembers should not be dictating procedure to the assembly.

Archived