The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question regarding a Parliamentary Inquiry as applied to a moition to close an assembly's session

Guest Steve Britton

So, if a motion to enter into an Executive or Closed session is pending, with the intent of the closed session being the removal a committee member from a committee (assuming the assembly is the appointing authority), a Request for Information regarding whether the person has been given notice of the removal (as a conditioned in the bylaws) is in Order?

So, if a motion to enter into an Executive or Closed session is pending, with the intent of the closed session being the removal a committee member from a committee (assuming the assembly is the appointing authority), a Request for Information regarding whether the person has been given notice of the removal (as a conditioned in the bylaws) is in Order?

Ah, how do you know the intent, unless you are making the motion?

I would add that the inquiry is not about the actual motion to go into executive session and would not be related to the business at hand (p. 294, l. 22).

J. J., I think it would be related as to whether the assembly should enter executive session if it would be unable to conduct the business that it wanted to do in the executive session.

I think, though, that version of the inquiry would change it from a request for information into a parliamentary inquiry.

... Steve, did you change your mind about what question to ask, after composing the thread title?

Sorry Gary, Not really; but, due to Jonathon's answer, I thought I would attemp to ask my question in another manner. One of my acquantiances has taught me to do this. Btw, looking at page 292, Standard Descriptive Characteristic #2," all can be applied in reference to any motion or parliamentary situation out which they arise." If the assembly is moving to enter into a closed session for a specific purpose; that is, to bring a motion to rescind a committee appointment, is their one parliamentary situation or are these two separate parliamentary situations? Is the parliamentary inquiry limited to the motion to enter into the closed session or is the purpose for the closed session, inclusive (or fair game, too)

Being the nice guy that I am, I would never want to interupt a chairman, unless I was entitled to do so.

I can see how the (possible) failure to provide bylaw-mandated notice to the committee member may prevent the assembly from taking certain further actions relevant to the removal of the person from the committee, but I don't see how failing to provide that notice would prevent the assembly from entering executive session to consider the action.

Sorry Gary, Not really; but, due to Jonathon's answer, I thought I would attemp to ask my question in another manner. One of my acquantiances has taught me to do this. Btw, looking at page 292, Standard Descriptive Characteristic #2," all can be applied in reference to any motion or parliamentary situation out which they arise." If the assembly is moving to enter into a closed session for a specific purpose; that is, to bring a motion to rescind a committee appointment, is their one parliamentary situation or are these two separate parliamentary situations? Is the parliamentary inquiry limited to the motion to enter into the closed session or is the purpose for the closed session, inclusive (or fair game, too)

Being the nice guy that I am, I would never want to interupt a chairman, unless I was entitled to do so.

The motion that is pending is the one to go into executive session. You are asking a non procedural question about a motion that not pending and interrupting a pending question to do it. That is out of order.

Asking such questions amounts to premature discussion of the matter on which discussion (presumably) may not begin until the assembly is already in executive session. Therefore, the question on going into exec should be settled first.

Once in executive session, any parliamentary objections to the subject matter can be raised just as effectively as before, and arguably more so.

Thanks Jonathon and all. In the situation that we have discussed, I wasn't sure whether the Parliamentary Inquiry had to me moved prior to motion to close the session, or not and I believe you've answered my Questions. Also, thanks to David and Gary.

Asking such questions amounts to premature discussion of the matter on which discussion (presumably) may not begin until the assembly is already in executive session.

Not necessarily, though in this case, the Request for Information will be unrelated to the "business at hand."

Steve you are most welcome, though I can't figure out how you know my first name, but not the correct spelling of it. ;)

Archived