The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating committee

Janwor

If a member of a 3 person-nominating committee becomes a candidate for office, does that member still have a part in counting the votes?

Thank you!

The chair should appoint tellers to distribute, collect, and count the ballots. RONR doesn't prohibit a nominee from serving as a teller. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 414, ll. 6-20.

So, if your bylaws unwisely provide that the nominating committee counts the votes, that would appear to include the candidate in question.

Why is this inherently unwise (not asking a rhetorical question -- I'm curious what the hazards are, in your opinion)? Should no member who made a nomination be involved in vote counting?

Why is this inherently unwise (not asking a rhetorical question -- I'm curious what the hazards are, in your opinion)? Should no member who made a nomination be involved in vote counting?

Tellers should be chosen to represent the interests of all factions. That's not likely to happen if the tellers are the members of the nominating committee.

To me it's unwise because the nominating committee has a specific duty, which has nothing to do with ballots. It's akin to combining the 100 yard dash and fishing*. Unfortunately, it's all too common for organizations to believe that the nominating committee runs the election.

*That reference should be attributed to Norm MacDonald.

To me it's unwise because the nominating committee has a specific duty, which has nothing to do with ballots. It's akin to combining the 100 yard dash and fishing*. Unfortunately, it's all too common for organizations to believe that the nominating committee runs the election.

Or combining swimming, cycling, and running. Oh, wait.

Tellers should be chosen to represent the interests of all factions. That's not likely to happen if the tellers are the members of the nominating committee.

Would you go further and say that no member who has made a nomination should be selected as a teller then? I would think that individuals making nominations might be even more likely to represent a faction than would the nominating committee (the committee is at least charged with selecting the best people to carry out the work of the organization).

Would you go further and say that no member who has made a nomination should be selected as a teller then? I would think that individuals making nominations might be even more likely to represent a faction than would the nominating committee (the committee is at least charged with selecting the best people to carry out the work of the organization).

See RONR(11th ed.), p. 414, ll. 12-20 (particularly 17-20).

You may be reading the wrong thing into Mr. Gerber's point about representing interests.

I think it's unwise for the reason Tim pointed out.

And I don't think it's unwise for someone who made a nomination to be involved in vote counting, but I think it is at least unusual for an actual candidate to be involved in vote counting.

RONR does not prohibit it, however. It only provides:

The tellers should be chosen for accuracy and dependability, should have the confidence of the membership, and should not have a direct personal involvement in the question or in the result of the vote to an extent that they should refrain from voting under the principle stated on page 407. Often their position with regard to the issue involved is well known, however, and they are frequently chosen to protect the interests of each opposing side.

Since candidates are free to vote for themselves, they are eligible to serve as tellers, but as a chair I would still be loath to appoint one as such.

Archived