The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Email Text mail meeting notifications

Bzzldy

Currently, there are no by-laws or amendments to our by-laws with regards to changing Board and membership meeting dates via electronic mail. Can a vote be taken by email or text messaging to change meeting dates? Our Business Manager says it has been done as a past practice so that should be accepted and our President agrees. There was no motion in our previous meeting to change the dates. Our by-laws state the Board meeting should be held prior to the membership meetings.

Currently, there are no by-laws or amendments to our by-laws with regards to changing Board and membership meeting dates via electronic mail. Can a vote be taken by email or text messaging to change meeting dates? Our Business Manager says it has been done as a past practice so that should be accepted and our President agrees. There was no motion in our previous meeting to change the dates. Our by-laws state the Board meeting should be held prior to the membership meetings.

How was the date set?

First, nothing in RONR grants the Board or Membership the authority to cancel or reschedule a meeting. The meeting would need to be held and at that point a motion could be adopted to set up an Adjourned Meeting (RONR pp. 242-247) for the time that you all want (though if a quorum shows up they can conduct whatever business that can be validly held at a quorate meeting). Second, you cannot take votes by email unless the bylaws specifically provides for it (RONR p. 423). Third, past practice (custom) falls to the ground when it conflicts with the parliamentary authority (RONR p. 19) and in fact any votes that were ever taken by email without bylaw authorization are null and void (RONR p. 251 [d]).

I'm confused by both comments. We did have a meeting. Members of our board are old and new and just go with the flow without any regard to what is right. However, the membership has been questioning our actions and I'm trying to learn the right way to do things. Does this mean the prior meeting held, any amendments, discussion, is considered null and void?

Sorry I'll be back in half hour...need to take a lunch break...

As I pointed out there is nothing in RONR that would authorize you all to reschedule a meeting without going through the process of setting up an Adjourned meeting and taking votes by email is not allowed since your bylaws don't specifically provide for it. That being said in my opinion although the email voted on motion to reschedule the meeting constitutes a continuing breach the breach would heal thyself when the meeting was held so what was done at the meeting is still valid.

Tim ~ Date set by each Board member checking their calendar if they were available to change the meeting date and then calling the President to let him know we were available. Then he notifies everyone of the date change.

Larry ~ Checked the by-laws and there is no mention of "traditions".

Chris ~ This is not an adjourned meeting. It is a regular scheduled meeting every first Friday of each month. It is held prior to the membership meetings held throughout the month as deemed in our Constitution. The BM keeps changing the scheduled meetings to accommodate his trips and business meetings.

Currently, the BM wants to change our meeting for December so we could all attend a tenant party in the building that we own two weeks later than normally scheduled. By changing our meeting, the other units would not have Board Minutes to present to

their membership. Would I be wrong by addressing this to Regional Representative?

Archived