The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive committee

Guest Bruce Milliken

I seem to recall reading here that Official Interpretations 2006-12 & 13 have equal applications to the Board's relationship with the Executive Committee as the Board's with the General Membership. Does my recollection stand up?

I think so. Isn't the answer still "no" there regarding overruling the society?

I seem to recall reading here that Official Interpretations 2006-12 & 13 have equal applications to the Board's relationship with the Executive Committee as the Board's with the General Membership.

Well, I think that should be: Official Interpretations 2006-12 & 13 have equal applications to the Executive Committee's relationship with the Board as the Board's with the General Membership.

This seems to apply between membership and boards. Is there a section relating Executive to overall Board. Can one override the another?

RONR describes the executive committee as "a board within a board" so the analogy to Official Interpretations 2006-12 and 2006-13 would seem appropriate.

Here is what the 10th said Bruce (I don't have the 11th here at work) :

" In a society where the board is large or its members must travel from a distance to meet, it is usual for the bylaws to establish an executive committee composed of a specified number of board members, which shall have all or much of the power of the board between meetings (just as the board has all the power of the society between the society's meetings), but which cannot modify any action taken by the board (just as the board cannot modify any action taken by the society)." RONR 10th p. 468

Unless the Fab Five drastically altered this in the 11th, and I don't think they did, this should be clear enough.

Archived