The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Read motion without quorum?

Guest prawni

I am an officer of an organization that has the following procedure for amending the constitution: at the first meeting the motion to amend must be read. Then, an announcement to the membership has to go out (via our newsletter) saying that a vote will be taken at the next membership meeting. At that second meeting, the motion is formally made and the vote is taken. At our last meeting, by the time we got to it on the agenda, there was no quorum. I said that the motion could still be read, as no action needed to be taken, and I read it. Of the officers present, one (the President) disagreed that the motion could even be read. Who is correct? (If more information is needed, let me know.)

I'd say that providing required notice (i.e. "reading") of a motion is not one of the very few things that can be done in the absence of a quorum.

I concur. RONR pp. 347-348 state what can be done in the absence of a quorum and the Constitutionally mandated first reading of the amendment is not taking a recess, setting up an Adjourned meeting, Adjourning, or taking a measure to obtain a quorum. Hopefully the President ruled that the reading was not valid for the purposes of giving notice otherwise the amendment if adopted would be null and void (RONR p. 241[a]).

Archived