The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratification of Amendments by General Membership

carlw1@earthlink.net

Is discussion (debate) allowed for ratification of amendments of the Bylaws by the general membership?

Explanation - Our process for amending the bylaws is the board of directors approves the changes (motion) at one of their board meetings. If approved then it must be ratified at the next general meeting. At this general meeting is any discussion (debate) allowed concerning these bylaw amendments or is it just a vote only.

Our Bylaws -

The new By-Laws shall be ratified at the following general meeting by a simple majority of those members present.

Although RONR uses a slightly different meaning of "ratify" (the "correct" one of course) as Carl W appears to, pp. 124-5 should satisfy any doubters.

As an aside, I always like the (improper) use of the phrase "simple majority". I suspect you are underestimating your membership; I'll bet that at least some of them are quite intelligent.

Thanks George for your authoritative opinion. Can you site the RONR passage so that I may quote you.

Since amending the Bylaws is a special case of the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, see RONR, 11th ed., pg. 306, line 6. Dr. Stackpole's citation may also be of assistance, in case some members of the society get stuck on the nonstandard use of the word "ratify."

Archived