The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rev Ed

After reading the recent thread about reconsidering motions, I have the following question:

Does a motion to postpone indefinitely kill a motion for all time?

For example, let's say that I move a motion to the effect of "That the clubhouse and outddor property be a smoke free environment." Let's assume the motion is seconded. If someone moves that it be postponed indefinitely, and that is passed can the motion, or a similar one is brought up again at any point? By a similar motion, let's assume that it is a motion to include only the inside of the clubhouse but not the exterior property.

Does a motion to postpone indefinitely kill a motion for all time?

No, it only kills it for the duration of the session. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 126, lines 5-6)

For example, let's say that I move a motion to the effect of "That the clubhouse and outddor property be a smoke free environment." Let's assume the motion is seconded. If someone moves that it be postponed indefinitely, and that is passed can the motion, or a similar one is brought up again at any point? By a similar motion, let's assume that it is a motion to include only the inside of the clubhouse but not the exterior property.

The same motion (or any similar motion) could be made at a later session. The same motion could not be made at the same session. Whether a similar motion could be made at the same session depends on whether the motion "presents substantially the same question" as the motion which was postponed indefinitely, which is a bit of a judgment call. In my opinion, the example you have provided would not be in order.

Archived