The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Scope of notice and original motion?

Sean Hunt

It would depend on the wording of the notice. If the notice is of a motion dealing with amending the Budget, then any motion that amends the Budget would be in order. However, if notice was to "amend By-law #10" then the motion cannot be to "amend By-law #3."

Indeed. My question is whether someone could give notice of a motion to purchase $500 of cheesecake, and then move a motion to purchase $250 of cheescake, or whether or not he would have to first move the purchase of $500 and then move an amendment to strike 500 and insert 250.

I would say that the member would first have to move the order of $500 worth of cheescakes and then offer an amendment to make it $250 instead.

If the notice was that he was going to make a motion to order cheesecakes with no amount given in the notice then the member could move that it be for $250 worth at the meeting.

Indeed. My question is whether someone could give notice of a motion to purchase $500 of cheesecake, and then move a motion to purchase $250 of cheescake, or whether or not he would have to first move the purchase of $500 and then move an amendment to strike 500 and insert 250.

Why would you need notice to adopt a motion to buy $500 worth of cheesecake?

Off the cuff (which is a risky way to answer), I think the first motion presented could be for the purchase of $250 worth, but that the assembly would have to remember that upward amendment (up to the original $500 amount) is allowable during the processing of the motion, without going outside the scope of the notice.

Why would you need notice to adopt a motion to buy $500 worth of cheesecake?

I suppose the organization might have a rule that any motion authorizing expenditure above $X requires notice.

I feel like I'm missing a joke here somehow. Not having been invited to that Christmas dinner featuring the $500 worth of cheesecake :wacko: I guess...

I would say that the member would first have to move the order of $500 worth of cheescakes and then offer an amendment to make it $250 instead.

I think a motion to order $250 would be in order as it is within the scope of the notice. Amendments could then be offered to change that amount, but any amount greater than $500 would exceed the scope of the notice.

Archived