The Official RONR Q & A Forums

unanimity resolution

Guest kimbe

Wondering if any one has an opinion on the appropriateness of this type of resolution ---sit on a board which is contemplateing passing this type of resolution which simply stated is suggesting that once a resolution is passed whether unaniomously or by a split decision that all member must support the particular resolution to members and the comminity it serves or resign from the board ---- any dicussion thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Wondering if any one has an opinion on the appropriateness of this type of resolution ---sit on a board which is contemplateing passing this type of resolution which simply stated is suggesting that once a resolution is passed whether unaniomously or by a split decision that all member must support the particular resolution to members and the comminity it serves or resign from the board ---- any dicussion thoughts would be appreciated thanks

If you make it as far as the second page of RONR (11th ed.), you will see that it is the nature of a deliberative assembly that failure to concur in a decision of the body does not constitute withdrawal from the body.

On page 4 of Parliamentary Law, by Henry M. Robert, there is written the following: "The great lesson for democracies to learn is for the majority to give to the minority a full, free opportunity to present their side of the case, and then for the minority, having failed to win a majority to their views, gracefully to submit and to recognize the action as that of the entire organization, and cheerfully to assist in carrying it out, until they can secure its repeal."

This philosophy works for me, but there is certainly no provision in RONR that would allow a board to compel one or more of its members to resign. I doubt your rules provide for the adoption of such a rule by the board.

A member has the right to vote yes or no. A member cannot be compelled to agree with any resolution.

I believe the resolution was to support and not necessarily agree with the decision. Hopefully, the minority members would in accordance with the viewpoint posted by Tim Wynn "....cheerfully to assist in carrying it out.." As for the resignation part, I think this is going overboard.

If you make it as far as the second page of RONR (11th ed.), you will see that it is the nature of a deliberative assembly that failure to concur in a decision of the body does not constitute withdrawal from the body.

On page 4 of Parliamentary Law, by Henry M. Robert, there is written the following: "The great lesson for democracies to learn is for the majority to give to the minority a full, free opportunity to present their side of the case, and then for the minority, having failed to win a majority to their views, gracefully to submit and to recognize the action as that of the entire organization, and cheerfully to assist in carrying it out, until they can secure its repeal."

This philosophy works for me, but there is certainly no provision in RONR that would allow a board to compel one or more of its members to resign. I doubt your rules provide for the adoption of such a rule by the board.

I think that this would be tantamount to a special rule of order, and may violate the bylaws (which the Continental Congress did not have). If it didn't violate the bylaws, a special rule could accomplish this, but not a resolution.

In particular, the "or resign from the board" language is problematic. In my opinion, this would likely need to be included in the Bylaws to be valid.

I believe the resolution was to support and not necessarily agree with the decision. Hopefully, the minority members would in accordance with the viewpoint posted by Tim Wynn "....cheerfully to assist in carrying it out.." As for the resignation part, I think this is going overboard.

Yes, but also keep in mind the part about "until they can secure its repeal." If the board members feel the motion is not in the best interests of the society, they should be free to attempt to have the general membership Rescind the motion.

I have an opinion on it. An extremely low opinion.

I share this low opinion. It's bad enough when board members tell one of their number, who happens to disagree with a majority decision, that there is an implicit duty to present a 'united front' to the membership. Even worse to write such a policy into the rules of the organization, and expel dissenters from the board. The majority is not always right. Leaving aside any ethical concerns, think of it from a practical point of view for a moment. Pick an issue that you feel strongly about, and then imagine that a wrong-headed (on that issue) majority happens to be on the board -- they could effectively expel any other members who stand in their way (and, if the board has vacancy-filling powers, replace them with their own cronies) -- is that a good idea for the organization?

As others have said, I think it highly unlikely that the board could adopt such a policy anyway, without an amendment to the bylaws (and, hopefully, the board doesn't have the power to amend the bylaws without membership approval).

On principle, the Board should try to present a united front - debate and amendments can help to try make sure that a motion is past which can bring about a decision which everyone can walk away happy with. However, in reality there are going to be decision where the Board will be divided and there is no "middle ground' so it will come down to majority rule.

However, unless the issue is a major decision the dissenting members should try to support the decision by not speaking out against it afterwards. But sometimes issues will require the minority to speak up and they should be allowed the right to do so, especially if they are doing so as general members at a general membership meeting.

Unfortunately this particular circumstance only allows the general members to vote on the board members and not the issues that may come before the organization --therefore the board has total say over the direction of the commiunity it serves

Well, this is unfortunate, but notwithstanding this fact, the "or resign from the board" language is still problematic. Such a provision would most likely need to be in the Bylaws to be valid, and it would certainly require a special rule of order at the very least. An ordinary motion is insufficient.

However, unless the issue is a major decision the dissenting members should try to support the decision by not speaking out against it afterwards. But sometimes issues will require the minority to speak up and they should be allowed the right to do so, especially if they are doing so as general members at a general membership meeting.

Well, as the original poster has noted, that last bit doesn't seem to apply in this organization, as the board (apparently) has exclusive authority over all aspects of the organization except for electing the board (and hopefully there are some other exceptions as well, such as amending the Bylaws and conducting disciplinary procedures).

Archived