The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Disruptive members?

pioneer461

I searched for this topic, but could not find a discussion. I am on the board of directors of a non-profit HOA, and fairly new to Robert's Rules. Until this term, our board thought we knew what we were doing, but we were only making it up as we went. The only version I have, so far, is the "In Brief" version.

Can someone point me in the right direction for handling disruptive members? We have a small minority of members who have made it their stated goal to "bankrupt the board" through law suits and disruption. For some reason these folks can't comprehend they will be suing themselves as members of the HOA. All attempts to reason with them have so far failed. I am familiar with state law as it applies to our meetings, which can lead to an arrest by police, but we'd really prefer not to get to that point.

I can not seem to locate any reference to disruptive persons in the "In Brief" version, but will have access to the most current RR book within a couple of days. (The "For Dummies" publication mentions it, but gives no reference in Robert's Rules.

We are open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help.

I searched for this topic, but could not find a discussion. I am on the board of directors of a non-profit HOA, and fairly new to Robert's Rules. Until this term, our board thought we knew what we were doing, but we were only making it up as we went. The only version I have, so far, is the "In Brief" version.

Can someone point me in the right direction for handling disruptive members? We have a small minority of members who have made it their stated goal to "bankrupt the board" through law suits and disruption. For some reason these folks can't comprehend they will be suing themselves as members of the HOA. All attempts to reason with them have so far failed. I am familiar with state law as it applies to our meetings, which can lead to an arrest by police, but we'd really prefer not to get to that point.

I can not seem to locate any reference to disruptive persons in the "In Brief" version, but will have access to the most current RR book within a couple of days. (The "For Dummies" publication mentions it, but gives no reference in Robert's Rules.

Filing a suit is not out of order, and would be normally outside of the context of the meeting. If the assembly, or whomever can conduct discipline, feels that it is disruptive enough, they can use Chapter XX to expel the members. Expect a lawsuit. :)

If the disruptive people are not members of the body that is meeting (the board of directors, in your description), they are not 'members' in the RONR sense. Once you get your new book, see RONR (11th ed.) pp. 648-649 for a discussion of protection from annoyance by non-members in a meeting; removal of an offender from the hall. The full authority of the assembly, with respect to disturbances by non-members, can be exercised by the chair acting alone. In other words, the chair has the authority to order these people to leave. Actually getting them to go may, unfortunately, still involve calling the police.

If the disruptive people are members of the body that is meeting, the assembly (not the chair alone) has the authority to ask them to leave and/or to impose other penalties (start reading on p. 644 for more information).

If the disruptive people are not members of the body that is meeting (the board of directors, in your description), they are not 'members' in the RONR sense. Once you get your new book, see RONR (11th ed.) pp. 648-649 for a discussion of protection from annoynance by non-members in a meeting; removal of an offender from the hall. The full authority of the assembly, with respect to disturbances by non-members, can be exercised by the chair acting alone. In other words, the chair has the authority to order these people to leave. Actually getting them to go may, unfortunately, still involve calling the police.

If the disruptive people are members of the body that is meeting, the assembly (not the chair alone) has the authority to ask them to leave and/or to impose other penalties (start reading on p. 644 for more information).

The disruptive folks are members, we do not permit non-members to attend, except when invited by a board member, such as property management, etc. The reference to page 644 is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

Filing a suit is not out of order, and would be normally outside of the context of the meeting. If the assembly, or whomever can conduct discipline, feels that it is disruptive enough, they can use Chapter XX to expel the members. Expect a lawsuit. :)

For the purpose of this discussion, the filing of a law suit is not the purpose of inquiry, but the disruptive behavior during meetings. Thanks for the information.

The disruptive folks are members, we do not permit non-members to attend, except when invited by a board member, such as property management, etc

I think you may have misunderstood Trina's point. It seems to me you are saying that the disruptive people are members of your HOA, but not members of your board. It is the members of the body which is meeting - in your case, the board - who have control over their meeting, and can impose the actions Trina cited, such as the board chair having the authority to remove disruptive non-members (of the board). Unless your bylaws grant members of the HOA the right to attend all board meetings, you can remove these disruptive non-members of the board at any time using the procedures Trina described.

The disruptive folks are members, we do not permit non-members to attend, except when invited by a board member, such as property management, etc. The reference to page 644 is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

In this context, i.e., a board meeting, the word "members" refers to board members. All others, even members of the society, who are not members of the board, are considered "non-members" of that meeting, and have no rights according to RONR, except as may be provided in your bylaws.

Archived