The Official RONR Q & A Forums

telecommunications

Guest Allen

A general statement authorizing teleconferences is sufficient for the purposes of the Bylaws. It is appropriate to use Special Rules of Order and Standing Rules to cover the specifics.

Except... There should be a bylaw definition of an electronic "quorum". The usual meaning gets a little dicey when nobody is present in the same room.

Except... There should be a bylaw definition of an electronic "quorum". The usual meaning gets a little dicey when nobody is present in the same room.

Based upon what is said on pages 97-99 of RONR (11th ed.), inclusion in the bylaws of a special definition of an electronic "quorum" is not required.

Based upon what is said on pages 97-99 of RONR (11th ed.), inclusion in the bylaws of a special definition of an electronic "quorum" is not required.

Quite so, but those cited pages refer to electronic meetings, such as telephone, video conferencing, and the like, that fit the "simultaneous aural communication" model.

I had in mind the (increassingly common) practice of meetings held by e-mail, (more like the U.S. Revolution's "Committees of Correspondence", but with somewhat updated technology) and I should have made that clear at the outset. But let us not renew (for now) the argument as to whether such meetings can be treated as "deliberative assemblies". I don't know what Guerst_Allen had in mind in his original question.

As a side, but related question, p. 97, line 22, refers to the "Internet". Do you know what the A-Team had in mind with that reference? Skype? Something else? E-Mail?

If we use telecommunications to meet and vote, is it required to have specific bylaws (equipment, voting procedures, etc)? Or is it only recommended to have specific bylaws established

How specific do the bylaws need to be? Our bylaws recognize "telecommunications". No other reference

Specific enough to answer all the questions that will arise and inevitably lead you back here for answers...

As a side, but related question, p. 97, line 22, refers to the "Internet". Do you know what the A-Team had in mind with that reference? Skype? Something else? E-Mail?

Well, I suspect that it refers to technologies using the Internet which meet the criteria specified in the following sentence.

Turns out that telecommunication quidlines for meetings are discussed in state code. We did not follow the code. What happens to all the work that we accomplished?

As I just posted on your other thread, that depends on whether the code in question lays out a 'procedural rule' (i.e. a rule having to do with parliamentary procedure), and also whether the code does actually apply to an organization which has authorized use of telecommunications in its bylaws.

edited to add:

Are there many past decisions that appear to be in jeopardy because proper procedure was not followed? And, reading your post more carefully, do you mean that the state code lays out details of how to conduct meetings using telecommunications, and that your organization did not follow those detailed rules?

Archived