The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Appointments - need clarification please

Koz

Our bylaws state that the chairman shall appoint members of committees. I am confused with how RONR explains the appointment to special committees.

RONR p.171 ll. 31-35 “…the motion should specify the number of committee members, and the method of their selection, unless the method is prescribed by the bylaws; or, if desired, the motion can name the members of the special committee.

RONR p. 492 ll. 13-20 “In an assembly or organization that has not prescribed in its bylaws or rules how the members of its committees shall be selected, the method can be decided by unanimous consent, or by majority vote…; or (in the case of a special committee) the method can be specified in the motion to establish the committee.

Do these rules mean that when a motion is made to send something to a special committee, the person making the motion can name the committee members regardless of what is stated in the bylaws?

No.

The bylaws, whatever they may say, overrule any motions. The p. 171 (notwithstanding tricky syntax) cite says that. Sort of.

Given NO bylaw provisions, the motion to commit could ...

1. Say how members are appointed, how many, and by whom;

or

2. Specifically name the members (i.e., the "appointment" is built into the motion).

Commonly Standing Committees are defined (established) in bylaws (or standing rules) with rules as to how members get appointed which, I guess, is why your two citations make specific reference to Special Committees. The latter, by definition, wouldn't be found in bylaws.

No.

The bylaws, whatever they may say, overrule any motions. The p. 171 (notwithstanding tricky syntax) cite says that. Sort of.

Given NO bylaw provisions, the motion to commit could ...

Thank you - it was the syntax that had me confused.

That's a phrase that should probably be stricken from your vocabulary.

Thank you - it has been stricken!

Archived