The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Scheduled hour of adjournment in session with only one meeting

dglynch

According to RONR pp. 240-241:

"If an hour for adjourning a meeting within a convention or other session of more than one meeting has been scheduled--either in an agenda or program or by the adoption of a motion setting a time--no motion to adjourn is necessary when that hour arrives. The chair simply announces the fact and declares the meeting adjourned, as described for a recess on page 232. If the assembly does not wish to adjourn, the matter is handled as a case of setting aside the orders of the day, as explained on pages 222-23 (see also p. 370)."

In this section, why do the words "within a convention or other session of more than one meeting" appear? If they were struck out, it seems the rule would have much broader application to additional types of meetings, without introducing any problems. In fact, without that proposed amendment, it seems unclear how a scheduled hour of adjournment should be handled in ordinary single-meeting sessions.

Am I missing something important here?

Dan or SG will be by but do you typically see this in an ordinary single-meeting session? I suppose if you need to be out of the room by a certain time it might be used in a regulary monthly meeting (etc) but I have never seen it used outside of the setting RONR describes and I can't see why the rule would be any different in that monthly meeting.

According to RONR pp. 240-241:

"If an hour for adjourning a meeting within a convention or other session of more than one meeting has been scheduled--either in an agenda or program or by the adoption of a motion setting a time--no motion to adjourn is necessary when that hour arrives. The chair simply announces the fact and declares the meeting adjourned, as described for a recess on page 232. If the assembly does not wish to adjourn, the matter is handled as a case of setting aside the orders of the day, as explained on pages 222-23 (see also p. 370)."

In this section, why do the words "within a convention or other session of more than one meeting" appear? If they were struck out, it seems the rule would have much broader application to additional types of meetings, without introducing any problems. In fact, without that proposed amendment, it seems unclear how a scheduled hour of adjournment should be handled in ordinary single-meeting sessions.

Am I missing something important here?

I agree with Shmuel. :)

The sentence which now begins on page 240, line 30, of the 2011 edition first appeared in the 1970 edition, and has remained unchanged ever since (except that, in 2011, instead of striking “within a convention or other session of more than one meeting”, we changed “prescheduled” to “scheduled”. :rolleyes:

However, in 2011 we did add the paragraphs on page 374 to which you have referred, and I might also add that the paragraph at the foot of page 370 has remained unchanged since the 1970 edition (except for our “prescheduled” to “scheduled” handiwork).

Archived