The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vote passing?

Guest stephen

I fear your impression is (mostly) wrong. There are a few "parliamentary" motions that require 2/3 (all or most of the time) but virtually all run-of-the-mill motions of substance (Shall the organization do or spend this; shall the organization take this position.., &c) only require a majority to be adopted.

President can vote if he is a member but shouldn't - to remain "impartial" - unless the vote is by ballot or his vote could make a difference - make/break a tie or cross the 2/3 threshold.

Back to your reading! Where did you get that "impression?"

from reading the robert's rules of order "in brief"...

I'll stick my nose in just to say good for you! It's a good place to start, and there's much there to get you going, although it seems you might want to read it a little slower and make sure you're getting it right. :) And I'll add the caution that I hope you've got the 2nd edition, which has been updated to match the current 11th Edition of RONR.

from reading the robert's rules of order "in brief"...i'm getting the impression that all votes require a 2/3 majority in order to pass.

is that true?

No. In fact, you will not find the term "2/3 majority" anywhere in RONRIB, so I can't begin to guess what gave you that impression. All but a few motions require a majority vote (more than half of those present and voting). A few procedural motions, mainly those that protect the minority, require a 2/3 vote.

also, does the president get to vote on motions?

or does he only vote in the case of a tie?

The president votes whenever the vote is by ballot, or whenever his single vote would affect the outcome (presuming he wishes to change the outcome).

Archived