The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can I request seeing the minutes

Guest Diane

I was charged of malfeasance and libeling two members of the Club and a Special Board Meeting was held. Can I see the minutes? Generally Board Meeting minutes are not published.

Since I was involved I feel I should be able to see the minutes. Can I?

Thanks,

Diane

I proved my case but the President and one Board members were the ones I was said to have libeled. The Recording Secretary is the one that brought up the charges. They did not recuse themselves and I lost 4 to 3. How is that justice? I can imagine how the minutes will read.

Can I find the RONRule on this site?

No, but here is a "fair use" quotation (from the Kindle edition):

A record of the board’s proceedings should be kept by the secretary, just as in any other assembly; these minutes are accessible only to the members of the board unless the board grants permission to a member of the society to inspect them, or unless the society by a two-thirds vote (or the vote of a majority of the total membership, or a majority vote if previous notice is given) orders the board’s minutes to be produced and read to the society’s assembly.

Robert, Henry M. III (2011-09-27). Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th edition (Kindle Locations 9252-9255). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.

I proved my case but the President and one Board members were the ones I was said to have libeled. The Recording Secretary is the one that brought up the charges. They did not recuse themselves and I lost 4 to 3. How is that justice? I can imagine how the minutes will read.

Nothing in RONR compels a member to abstain from voting, although it does state that a member should abstain if he has a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members. On the other hand, nothing in RONR gives the board the power to discipline members either, so you'll ultimately need to look to your organization's customized rules on discipline to determine whether the board violated any rules.

Archived