The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Justification for Executive Session

Guest Gary

Roberts Rules of Order explains the value, purpose and proceedure for the Executive Session privilege, however there are no guide lines on justification for using it other then disiplanary proceedings. A society must trust that a Board applies responsible discrection like personal issues, an ongoing legal matter or sensitive negotiation as Town and State Governments do, There is significant reason to believe our Board used Executive Session to discuss and vote against a former Board members Bylaw amendment which was properly submitted under our Bylaws for member vote at the forthcomming membership meeting. The Board refused the members request to discuss the amendment with the Boarrd and ignored his request for their opinion on it. I would greatly appreciate you opinion and advice on what appears to be abuse of authority and breach of the democratic values in Roberts Rukles of Order. Thank you.

I would greatly appreciate you opinion and advice on what appears to be abuse of authority and breach of the democratic values in Roberts Rukles of Order.

Boards frequently hold all their meetings in executive session. No justification is needed. The general membership is free to order the reading of the minutes of any board meeting and, of course, free to elect board members who are more transparent (not literally transparent of course).

You could also adopt a bylaws amendment that sets forth specific reasons for which executive sesson may be used, and prohibiting others, patterned after the sunshine laws that apply to public bodies. You'd probably want the advice of a parliamentarian, or at least some sort of bylaws forum, in drafting the language, especially concerning the suspendibility of the rule.

Generally Executive Session is used all the time for Board meetings. The main justification, if you will, is that it frees Board members to talk more freely about decisions. If the general membership were always present many Board members may feel uncomfortable with making unpopular statements for fear that general members may not want to re-elect them. By discussing issues in Executive Session, people do not know what was said, thus if the issue is raising the fees by 10% Board members can feel more free to speak out in support of the raise at the meeting rather than not doing so because general members may not like the idea.

It may be of value to know that during the 27 years I was on this Board there never was an Executive Session

Well, this information won't change any of the answers you've been given. I think this information will be of more value as ammunition when debating the adoption of rules regulating when the board may enter executive session.

Archived