The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Should minutes be taken of Executive Board meetings and Presidential Cabinet?

Guest shan9122

Hello!

I'm curious how the open meeting laws (of New York State) work when applied to meetings of the Executive board of an organization and the President's cabinet meetings. I'll explain each further below.

Executive board meetings are meetings of the President, VP, Comptroller, Chief Justice, Speaker of the Assembly, Chair of Elections, and the organization's advisor. These individuals meet on a weekly basis.

Presidential Cabinet meetings are meetings in which the advisors to various departments meet weekly with the President of the Association to update him on their progress.

Lately the impressions coming out of these meetings is extremely questionable and when the Representatives of this Association as what was discussed, we receive a response of "that information is confidential".

There is nothing in our bylaws about meeting minutes, however, I was curious if RONR made mention of any that could relate to this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Hello!

I'm curious how the open meeting laws (of New York State) work when applied to meetings of the Executive board of an organization and the President's cabinet meetings. I'll explain each further below.

This is a legal question which should be addressed to an attorney. Such questions are beyond the scope of this forum.

RONR does say, however, that boards should keep minutes, and that such minutes are accessible only to the members of the board (unless the board grants permission to a member of the society to inspect them or unless the society orders them to be produced (RONR, 11th ed., p. 487, ll. 13-20).

Archived