The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member on Probation

Guest James

Hi I have a quick question.

We have a member who is on probation for not making merit points per our by-laws. He was until January a member in good standing. We offer a reserve membership in our organization which strips them of voting rights and length of service. The only rule in our by-laws to move to reserve membership is that it is approved by the chair. Is there a rule that states a member "on probation" may not change their membership status or our we bound by the by-laws and chair's decision?

Please let me know if anyone has a similar circumstance.

As far as RONR is concerned you are either a member with all of the rights of a member or you aren't a member. If you all have more than one class of membership it will be up to you all to work out the details (though any limitations on the rights of the member must be spelled out in the bylaws).

I think a few members do not agree but not enough to appeal the decision. I am just afraid it may start a precedent of members on probation just wanting to change their membership status to reserve instead of being removed form the org for failure to make merit as per our by-laws.

Archived