The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can resigned officers attend & speak at board meetings?

Guest Nola Mae

If a board member who was an officer resigns, can she continue to attend the board meetings and continue to speak as if she never left the board?

Yes, unless the group authorized to fill the vacancy has accepted the resignation. So, who can fill the vacancy (i.e. the Board or the general membership) and has the group accepted the resignation.

Yes, unless the group authorized to fill the vacancy has accepted the resignation. So, who can fill the vacancy (i.e. the Board or the general membership) and has the group accepted the resignation.

I think that, when someone is said to have resigned and left the board, it can be assumed that the resignation has been properly accepted and that this member no longer holds the office from which he resigned. In other words, this is not a question about how to accept a resignation, it's a question about whether a former board member has any rights at board meetings (which, as our own ATC has indicated, he doesn't).

I think that, when someone is said to have resigned and left the board, it can be assumed that the resignation has been properly accepted and that this member no longer holds the office from which he resigned.

Well, if you're willing to assume the premise, I guess you're willing to accept the conclusion.

If a board member who was an officer resigns, can she continue to attend the board meetings and continue to speak as if she never left the board?

I think it depends if the officers are elected by the members and she was only a member of the board because of the office she held then no because she would no longer be a member of the board.

But, if the officers are elected by and from the board and she only resigned as an officer and not from the board then yes because she would still be a member of the board.

Archived