The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Guest John B

Must an insufficient verbal exchange between Board Members or between a Board Member and a vendor be included in the meeting minutes, if it is specifically requested by any Board Member?

No. Minutes are a record of what was done (motions, votes, etc) not what was said (debate, discussion, insufficient verbal exchanges, whatever they are). The minutes would not include such exchanges, especially on the request (or demand) of a single member, but a majority vote of the assembly could do it, or adoption of such a rule. Not that it's a good idea at all, mind you.

This question is somewhat related to the discussion above....

Should the word "draft" be used on minutes (or an agenda) that are being presented to an assembly or board meeting for approval? For example, saying it is the Draft Agenda or Draft Minutes. I'm of the view that it should not as the agenda or minutes will be approved with or without changes or possibly not approved. My boss is of the view that the agenda or minutes are draft until approved.

This question is somewhat related to the discussion above....

Should the word "draft" be used on minutes (or an agenda) that are being presented to an assembly or board meeting for approval? For example, saying it is the Draft Agenda or Draft Minutes. I'm of the view that it should not as the agenda or minutes will be approved with or without changes or possibly not approved. My boss is of the view that the agenda or minutes are draft until approved.

Well, your boss is right, but I wouldn't worry about putting "draft" on the as-yet-unapproved minutes unless you were planning on distributing them to the membership, posting on a website or bulletin board, or other such public distribution. That way, anyone who gets a copy prior to the approval meeting should understand that corrections and changes may be made to them during approval, so the "draft" copy is just that - a draft copy.

Archived