The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tie in an election

Guest D Williamson

Guest D Williamson

We have our election meeting tonight. The incumbent in a position will be running for that position again which leaves us with an even number of voters (8 to be exact). We fully expect that there will be a tie.

Since it is a ballot vote, the president will be voting, and since he can't cast 2 votes, he can't break the tie.

Roberts Rules of order says that you must continue holding a vote until the tie is broken.

What do you do if the tie can't be broken?

We have our election meeting tonight. The incumbent in a position will be running for that position again which leaves us with an even number of voters (8 to be exact). We fully expect that there will be a tie.

Since it is a ballot vote, the president will be voting, and since he can't cast 2 votes, he can't break the tie.

Roberts Rules of order says that you must continue holding a vote until the tie is broken.

What do you do if the tie can't be broken?

Keep voting. Eventually, someone will get tired.

Why would the incumbent not be allowed to vote?

I'm not saying he wouldn't or shouldn't. Of course he should vote. I was asking Guest_D_Williamson if that was the case based on my reading of

The incumbent in a position will be running for that position again which leaves us with an even number of voters (8 to be exact).

I took it to mean they have a 9-member board and they think that you don't get to vote in the ballot if you're an incumbent candidate, thus leaving them with only 8 voting members. Of course, it's all probably moot since the election is tonight and I'd be surprised to see D back here before then.

I took it to mean they have a 9-member board and they think that you don't get to vote in the ballot if you're an incumbent candidate, thus leaving them with only 8 voting members. Of course, it's all probably moot since the election is tonight and I'd be surprised to see D back here before then.

It certainly looks that way though it's a strange "rule" (or custom). I can (almost) understand not allowing any candidate to vote but can't make any sense out of singling out incumbent candidates.

And I agree that, at this point, it may be moot. I also wonder if Guest_D Williamson will brave the CAPTCHA gantlet once again to let us know what happened. And why.

Archived