The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Protocol for POA members attending a Board meeting

Guest Sally

I am on the Board of a small neighborhood POA. The neighborhood may be small, but it has a lot of contentious issues. At our next Board meeting, we have encouraged POA members who want to make a comment or ask a question about a particular topic (in this case, assessment methods) to attend. The Board is setting up guidelines for the meeting, People who want to speak will sign in at the beginning of the meeting and will be heard in the order they signed in. They can speak for no more than 5 minutes each and there will be no debate following the 5 minutes. In other words, this is just an opportunity to be heard, not for a brawl to start. No motions or votes will be taken at this meeting. Is there anything in RR that would challenge this procedure? Other advice?

I am on the Board of a small neighborhood POA. The neighborhood may be small, but it has a lot of contentious issues. At our next Board meeting, we have encouraged POA members who want to make a comment or ask a question about a particular topic (in this case, assessment methods) to attend. The Board is setting up guidelines for the meeting, People who want to speak will sign in at the beginning of the meeting and will be heard in the order they signed in. They can speak for no more than 5 minutes each and there will be no debate following the 5 minutes. In other words, this is just an opportunity to be heard, not for a brawl to start. No motions or votes will be taken at this meeting.

Nothing in RONR supports this position -- i.e. guaranteeing ahead of time that no motions or votes will occur at a meeting. The main purpose of a meeting is to conduct business. Of course, the POA members you are inviting (who are not members of the assembly at a Board meeting) do not have a right to make motions or to vote at a Board meeting in the first place. I'm just pointing out that you can't decree ahead of time that no Board members will engage in the conduct of business (including motions and votes). The board can certainly set rules outlining what invited guests (the POA members) are allowed to do at the meeting.

Is there anything in RR that would challenge this procedure? Other advice?

With respect to Mr. Mervosh's advice to keep speech germane to what is pending, that sounds sensible. Strictly speaking, without a motion before the assembly, nothing will actually be pending. However, if the guests are invited to give their opinions about a specified topic, it certainly makes sense to encourage them to stay on topic. If you really think bad behavior from some of the guests is a hazard, you should probably review the rules for dealing with unruly nonmembers at a meeting.

Nothing in RONR supports this position -- i.e. guaranteeing ahead of time that no motions or votes will occur at a meeting. The main purpose of a meeting is to conduct business. Of course, the POA members you are inviting (who are not members of the assembly at a Board meeting) do not have a right to make motions or to vote at a Board meeting in the first place. I'm just pointing out that you can't decree ahead of time that no Board members will engage in the conduct of business (including motions and votes). The board can certainly set rules outlining what invited guests (the POA members) are allowed to do at the meeting.

They're probably treating it as being in the nature of a hearing, which is common for committees, and not unheard of when the Board essentially is the one seeking this input. Most likely the Board members will be in agreement with the outlined procedure since they developed it.

According to RONR, non-members (in the case of the Board meeting this means anyone who is not a member of the Board) have no rights at all. If the Board wishes to allow for some comment time like this, they are free to create any rules regarding as they choose fit. And the rules you describe sound reasonable.

Archived