The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Exec Committee position v. BOD

Guest Bee

My current Secretary on the Exec Committee is up for re-election this month. She will be resigning from the BOD in July, knowing this, we are not casting her name of the ballot to be re-elected as Secretary. However, does she have to be re-elected in order to remain on the BOD until July?

She was originally elected to the BOD (which is a 3 yr term), then to the EC and that position is for a 2 yr term. So we would just re-elect every 2 but given the circumstances and that our bylaws do not speak to this I am unsure.

She was originally elected to the BOD (which is a 3 yr term), then to the EC and that position is for a 2 yr term. So we would just re-elect every 2 but given the circumstances and that our bylaws do not speak to this I am unsure.

From what you've provided so far, it sounds as though she was elected directly to the BOD for a 3 year term, and then subsequently elected to the EC for a 2 year term. It would seem then that if she is not re-elected to the EC, she would still fill out her term on the BOD (or until she resigns). That position seems to be separate from the EC.

Now, if your bylaws stipulate that in order to be on the EC you must be a member of the BOD, when she resigns from the BOD in July and if she had been re-elected to the EC, that would terminate her EC position as well. But much of this depends on what your bylaws say about how a person gets on to both those bodies.

This post has been brought to you by the letters BOD, and EC, and the numbers 2 and 3.

My current Secretary on the Exec Committee is up for re-election this month. She will be resigning from the BOD in July, knowing this, we are not casting her name of the ballot to be re-elected as Secretary. However, does she have to be re-elected in order to remain on the BOD until July?

If I understand what you've posted so far, her 2-year term as Secretary on the executive committee is about to to come to an end. When did her 3-year term on the board start, and when would that 3-year term normally end?

Who is "we" and what gives "us" the right to (not) cast someone's name of the ballot--whatever that means--based on some prediction about what may happen in July (or then again may not)?

My current Secretary . . .

Who is "we" . . .

I may be over-reacting but I always see a red flag when I see "my secretary" (or "I have a board", etc.). Nine times out of ten I'm sure it's just an innocent figure of speech but I suspect it occasionally reveals a misguided sense of authority.

Archived