The Official RONR Q & A Forums

right to remove pastor

Guest Kayla Rachal

Guest Kayla Rachal

What is the correct way to remove a pastor by the officers of our church corporation? He was asked to resign by the officers and he refused. He is demanding an open vote with a show of hands, and told the officers he wants them out of the church if he is elected by the majority. He wants this done on Sunday morning, and also plans a baptismal service on the same day. We are in central louisiana, and need some advice concerning the rights of our corporate officers and corporate director to remove the pastor peacefully. He becomes violent when approached, and we need some help here.

thank you

On this website forum, we here can only deal with what Robert's Rules of Order says about parliamentary procedure. We could help with matters about meetings of your corporate officers, and of the membership, but I think it's clear to you and me that what you need is more than that.

Earlier editions of Robert's Rules had sections about ecclesiastical tribunals, which might help, but probably not much; if you're interested, try me off-line.

What is the correct way to remove a pastor by the officers of our church corporation?

There may be methods depending on how one gets to be pastor, as Trina has asked. I'd suppose your rules contain nothing on this topic otherwise you wouldn't have to ask. So, follow up with Trina's question, and you may get an answer.

He was asked to resign by the officers and he refused.

Nothing surprising here. A resignation is a voluntary act, so the officers can ask, and the pastor can say no (and clearly did).

He is demanding an open vote with a show of hands, and told the officers he wants them out of the church if he is elected by the majority.

Well, I'd doubt he has any authority to control the method of voting, nor that the officers must be booted out even if the membership supports the pastor. That would take a separate action. Of course, he can ask them to resign, but I'd expect the same outcome as before.

He wants this done on Sunday morning, and also plans a baptismal service on the same day.

Well, I doubt he has any authority to demand when this vote takes place, especially since it would need to occur at a meeting, probably a special meeting, and that has (or should have) its own requirements, not the least of which is bylaw authorization. And to schedule a baptism on the same day? Why, that borders on unconscionable! And he calls himself a pastor???

We are in central louisiana, and need some advice concerning the rights of our corporate officers and corporate director to remove the pastor peacefully. He becomes violent when approached, and we need some help here.

The "rights" (by which I assume you mean authority, duty, and responsibility) of officers and directors should be found in your bylaws. They may be empowered to deal with this situation, or it may be something that membership has to address. Be sure to give a good read through your rules first, and then ask any lingering unanswered questions.

We are in central louisiana, and need some advice concerning the rights of our corporate officers and corporate director to remove the pastor peacefully.

Sounds like you need an attorney . . .

He becomes violent when approached, and we need some help here.

. . . or a cop.

Guest Kayla Rachal

He was hired by our church board, but he was given no employment contract, implied or written. There is also no agreement on the church parsonage, which he is living in with all bills paid. I think we have been fair with him.

Archived