The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions

Guest Pam Davis

No, this is not a trick question. We had a motion to create a new line item in the budget that was properly voted on and disposed. We then had another motion made and in the middle of the motion one of the members decided he did not completely understand the first motion and wanted to ask more questions. The financial chairman, because this is a church I guess, allowed him to ask the question and then proceeded to give another lengthy explanation. Since we were in the middle of a completely different motion, there was quite a lot of confusion. I am the church clerk and wanted to stand and not allow the discussion, but was not sure if I could do this. I thought the moderator, the Pastor, should have done it.

I am the church clerk and wanted to stand and not allow the discussion, but was not sure if I could do this. I thought the moderator, the Pastor, should have done it.

You could have made a "point of order" which the chair (the pastor/moderator) should have ruled "well taken". If he didn't, you could have appealed his ruling and put the matter to a vote.

Archived