The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspend Party Rules

RASinMaine

I have a parliamentary question about a motion to “Suspend the Rules” that was used at a political party convention. I have reviewed the party's by-laws and rules in the Convention Handbook. I also have reviewed my college text, Parliamentary Procedure at a Glance, by O. Garfield Jones; this is a Manual for the use of Roberts Rules of Order.

The Party By-laws and Rules make no provision for any Suspension of those Rules.

The Jones' Manual states that, “Rules can be suspended ONLY when they make provision for such suspension, and then only in accordance for such provisions.” Other research online, including http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-04.htm, seem to say that Roberts rules do allow for suspending Rules but not By-laws, unless the By-laws authorize a suspension.

My question: Is there a basis under Roberts Rules of Order to suspend party Rules when those Rules do not provide a way to suspend the Rules?

Other research online, including http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-04.htm, seem to say that Roberts rules do allow for suspending Rules but not By-laws, unless the By-laws authorize a suspension.

Also, the Jones' manual says that a 2/3's majority is needed to suspend the rules. Is this correct?

Also the "On-line" version of Roberts dates back to 1915! Furthermore, your link isn't to a "real" Robert's at all, but somebody's re-write. No telling what stray rules are in there.

Get the "Right Book" and start there.

Also get

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

It generally takes a 2/3 vote to Suspend the Rules but there are times that it can be done with a majority vote. Provisions in the bylaws can't be suspended unless they provide for their own suspension or the provision is in the nature of a rule of order that can be suspended (as a rule of thumb if the provision doesn't provide for its suspension assume that it can't be unless someone can give you a convincing reason why it can be). See RONR pp. 260-267 for the motion in all its glory.

The Jones Manual is about 40 years old- college was many years ago :( perhaps the Rules have changed since it was written?

The only group that I have heard of that uses the Jones book is a sorority chapter in St. Louis.

Basically, a rule can be suspended if:

1. The rule is in the nature of a rule of order.

2. The rule is one that the assembly can adopt.

3. The rule's suspension does not creates a breach of a continuing nature (p. 251).

Archived