The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Meeting Minutes

Guest Mango Desk

As Secretary of a Club, I take the Minutes on mylaptop computer, at each Board Meeting. These Minutes are finalized within 5 days and sent to Board Members. The are then approved at the next Board Meeting. Our President has asked me to change the Minutes to record something that did not happen. My notes completely disagree with her suggestion of what was said and done. Can I be forced to chnge the Minutes as she has told me to do?

As Secretary of a Club, I take the Minutes on mylaptop computer, at each Board Meeting. These Minutes are finalized within 5 days and sent to Board Members. The are then approved at the next Board Meeting. Our President has asked me to change the Minutes to record something that did not happen. My notes completely disagree with her suggestion of what was said and done. Can I be forced to chnge the Minutes as she has told me to do?

Just pointing out that the minutes should be a record of what was done (motions made, amendments to them, vote results, etc) and not what was said (during debate or other general jibber-jabber that took place.)

No. You are the secretary of the board, not the secretary to the president.

The president cannot unilaterally correct the minutes, and has no say over the content of the draft minutes until you present them to the board for approval.

Once they are before the board, the president has no greater right than any other member to offer corrections. If there is a disagreement over what actually happened at that meeting, a majority vote decides the issue.

Archived