The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Alcohol allowed during meetings??

Guest txblueeyes

Can or organization vote to waive the formalities of posting of the colors so as to allow alcohol to be consumed during meetings and the meetings, to include elections, still be considered valid??

Nothing in RONR addresses "posting the colors" or the consumption of alcohol.

I'd suggest you skip the former and encourage the latter.

Nothing in RONR deals with either "posting the colours" or allowing for alcohol to be consumed during the meeting. Although I would suggest that alcohol should only be served after the meeting as you don't want people who cannot understand what is going on or become disruptive because of an excess of alcohol consumption.

Can or organization vote to waive the formalities of posting of the colors so as to allow alcohol to be consumed during meetings and the meetings, to include elections, still be considered valid??

Is the requirement of posting the colors found in your bylaws or other governing documents? If so, it would not likely be something you can skip over through a simple motion-vote procedure.

What is it that prevents the consumption of alcohol while the colors are posted? Is there a rule for that found somewhere? As noted, RONR speaks to neither, so you're on your own for the most part, barring some unsuspendable restriction/requirement found in governing documents.

As for whether meetings would be considered invalid while under the influence, nothing in RONR supports that concern. How the elections will turn out is anyone's guess. You might want to consider having a designated driver in the chair and one at the minutes notepad. Just my two cents.

Archived