The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda questions

Mike V.

At a meeting with no prescribed order of business, the first item, after declaring a quorum, is always to adopt an agenda, which usually has only an order, but without specific times.

If an item is on the proposed agenda, I assume that the motion to adopt the agenda could be amended to delete any item from the agenda. Is that correct?

If an item is on the proposed agenda, could the agenda be amended to provide that a proposed item of business be postponed to a future meeting of the body, or would it be necessary to adopt the agenda, then wait for the item to come up, and the move to postpone?

In that case, would it be proper to amend the agenda to delete the item of business from the agenda, and then bring it up later under New Business? Or would that require a change in the agenda after its adoption, requiring a 2/3 vote?

Thanks to all who can respond.

If an item is on the proposed agenda, could the agenda be amended to provide that a proposed item of business be postponed to a future meeting of the body, or would it be necessary to adopt the agenda, then wait for the item to come up, and the move to postpone?

In that case, would it be proper to amend the agenda to delete the item of business from the agenda, and then bring it up later under New Business? Or would that require a change in the agenda after its adoption, requiring a 2/3 vote?

Thanks to all who can respond.

You could move to delete the item while the approval of the agenda is still pending, which would require only a majority vote.

You could wait until the item comes up normally and then move to postpone it--which also requires only a majority vote.

Or you could move to amend the agenda after adoption which typically would require a 2/3 vote, (or a majority of the entire membership).

Also keep in mind that if you simply fail to reach that item before adjourning, it should come up automatically under Unfinished Business at the next meeting.

Also keep in mind that if you simply fail to reach that item before adjourning, it should come up automatically under Unfinished Business at the next meeting.

Quite true, but only if the agenda was actually adopted. p. 365, sub-para 3).

I'm not so sure, since the meetings of this group apparently have no prescribed order of business.

But now I am a bit of a loss -- what is the connection between a prescribed (or not) order of business, and whether an unreached adopted agenda item becomes Unfinished Business (less than quarterly separated meetings assumed) or not.

And how could an unreached item of business on a non-adopted agenda have any chance of becoming unfinished business?

And how could an unreached item of business on a non-adopted agenda have any chance of becoming unfinished business?

I'll echo this question with the note that a chair probably should, in such a case, give priority to items from the previous meeting when selecting who to recognize under New Business.

But now I am a bit of a loss -- what is the connection between a prescribed (or not) order of business, and whether an unreached adopted agenda item becomes Unfinished Business (less than quarterly separated meetings assumed) or not.

I think you had better read more carefully exactly what you said (the part that I quoted), and exactly what I said in response to it (although you can delete that second "also" in my response). If you then still remain at a bit of a loss, I'm afraid that I can't help. :)

Archived