The Official RONR Q & A Forums

email voting and protocol

Guest April Bridgeman

No. It gives a page or three to teleconferencing-type meetings, but none to e-mail "meetings".

If you log in, you can use the internal mail system here (click the little envelope at the top of the screen -- AFTER you join -- and send me your e-mail address. I'll send you a little something for your trouble.

. . . for an email vote - can the motion be made JUST to the chair, or does the motion and the second need to be made to everyone, with the votes going to just the chair?

You're on your own when it comes to making motions via e-mail but if your bylaws don't authorize such a practice, you can't do it.

I went ahead and ordered it anyway, we really need it, but for an email vote - can the motion be made JUST to the chair, or does the motion and the second need to be made to everyone, with the votes going to just the chair?

RONR has no rules on e-mail volting because it's not allowed. Your bylaws can authorize it, but then you'd need to make up the rules that will apply to it.

... but then you'd need to make up the rules that will apply to it.

They are not thoroughly on their own, and they don't need to make up the rules about it. Dr Stackpole indirectly offered a link to a surprisingly small sheaf of notes as to how such meetings can work. (Unless he was referring to something else. I was referring to some articles on the AIP website.)

Archived