The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Even Year - Odd Year

Guest Rosebud

Look, Rosebud, try this.

2011 is an odd year, because 2011 is an odd number.

2012 is an even year, because 2012 is an even number.

So September 2011 - August 2011 is neither completely an odd year, because it's not, nor completely an even year, because it's not.

September 2011 - August 2011 is a mixed year, as far as odd and even are concerned. If what you're asking is what Robert's Rules says about how to determine the way to label a mixed year not a mixed year, well, it doesn't. (Chris H tried to express this, but he has a lamentable proclivity towards overweening brevity. Okay, I envy it. But onward.)

It might help, Guest Rosebud, if you said why you want to know. You hinted by mentioning nominations.

Reading between the (odd and even) lines, I'd suggest that the oddity of the year identification be based on the date that the elections take place.

Alternatively, the oddity (or lack thereof) could be determined by the date of "New Year's Day", i.e. September 1.

Our year runs from September through August of each year. We call this year 2011-2012.

We are preparing for nominations now. Is this an even year or odd year? Do you go by the first year (2012) or the second year (2013?

I suppose you are obliquely making reference to some rule of yours that mentions even/odd years, since no such reference is found in RONR. With that assumption, the answer to your question would/should be found in your rules, though I'm guessing there's nothing there else you wouldn't be here asking. RONR will provide you no answer I'm afraid.

September 2011 - August 2011 is a mixed year

If not abnormally a brief one, assuming of course the ability to travel backward in time.

Our year runs from September through August of each year. We call this year 2011-2012.

We are preparing for nominations now. Is this an even year or odd year? Do you go by the first year (2012) or the second year (2013?

Well, what did you call it (odd or even) last time elections rolled around? If you already have a pattern set up, just keep following it. Otherwise, pick something, and stick to it from now on (write it down somewhere, maybe even in the bylaws, so people don't have the same question next time).

As others have said, RONR does not answer your question.

I suppose you are obliquely making reference to some rule of yours that mentions even/odd years, since no such reference is found in RONR.

I think you're right about that, but RONR does obliquely make reference to a similar rule:

"Frequently it is provided that a specified percentage of

the directors shall be chosen periodically in such a way that

their terms of office overlap those of the others—as when, for

example, there are six directors and it is provided that two

shall be elected at each annual meeting for three-year terms."

(RONR, 11th ed., p. 482, ll. 20-24)

I think you're right about that, but RONR does obliquely make reference to a similar rule:

"Frequently it is provided that a specified percentage of

the directors shall be chosen periodically in such a way that

their terms of office overlap those of the others—as when, for

example, there are six directors and it is provided that two

shall be elected at each annual meeting for three-year terms."

(RONR, 11th ed., p. 482, ll. 20-24)

Yes, and thanks for the reminder.

Rosebud, I'd say the best advice so far has been that 2012 is an even year, and if your elections take place prior to midnight on Dec 31 this year, and barring any further clarification in your rules, it should be viewed as such. Perhaps before we hit the "HOT" designator for this thread you'll return with some additional insights (i.e. answers to some of the questions posed here to you).

Archived