The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No Parliamentarian

msdpolich

Good afternoon! What if our organization doesnt have a parliamentarian; as in I'm rolling off my parliamentarian duties as of July 1 and what if no one volunteers to nominate themselves? I do not want to be parliamentarian again; does the chair have the right to assign a parliamentarian? Our bylaws do not seem to address this issue.

Sorry so short!

Thanks for your time!

Good afternoon! What if our organization doesnt have a parliamentarian; as in I'm rolling off my parliamentarian duties as of July 1 and what if no one volunteers to nominate themselves? I do not want to be parliamentarian again; does the chair have the right to assign a parliamentarian? Our bylaws do not seem to address this issue.

Sorry so short!

Thanks for your time!

Is the position of parliamentarian defined (or at least mentioned at all) in your bylaws? Do you (the membership) normally elect a parliamentarian?

Normally, the president would "appoint one in whom he has confidence." (RONR 11th ed., p. 465 l. 30-32) You can read more about this beginning on page 465.

Our bylaws state what the role of the parliamentarian is and the duties and committee's involved, but thats it...

Just "thinking out loud" here...... many of the positions within an organization require certain skills -- the treasurer, the secretary, and especially the president with regards to presiding over meetings. The same is true of the parliamentarian. It's not one of those "warm body" positions -- it demands a strong knowledge of Robert's Rules, the organization's Bylaws, and particularly how and when to "be" parliamentary. It would be unfortunate of the membership just nominates/elects any member who says " well, what the heck, I'll do it" just to fill the position. So, who amongst your membership is parliamentarian material? If there is anyone, and they haven't self-nominated yet, it might be worth asking them why; what is it that's holding them back?

Archived