The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rouge Board Member

Guest Deb Green

I am hoping you can give me some advice. In our last general meeting,our group had a motion to allow a webpage and Facebook page for our group and it was voted. Since the last meeting, all but two board members have gone North for the summer including the President and VP. Leaving behond two Board members both of who were opposed to the Webpage and Facebook. We had a vote and the the motion was past, But they are refusing to write the check (already approved and voted on) or even work with those that were getting the Webpage and Facebook setup. Te whole purpose of the webpage and such was a membership campaign over the summer months and "kick off" for our first meeting in October when the rest of the Board returns. So waiting for the rest of the Board defeats the purpose of the motion and g\membership campaign over the summer. There are several members furious over this. We are unsure what we can do since we are not Board members. We feel like we are at the mercy of these two board members with their own agenda. Please advise what steps we can take following the Robert's Rules of Order? Thank you

Can the membership meet? If so, they might order the treasurer to make the payment at once. Even perhaps remove him from office (see FAQ #20) and replace him with someone who will do his job.

Or a member or members can write a check on their own, with the expectation (or hope) that the organization will reimburse them.

I am hoping you can give me some advice. In our last general meeting,our group had a motion to allow a webpage and Facebook page for our group and it was voted. Since the last meeting, all but two board members have gone North for the summer including the President and VP. Leaving behond two Board members both of who were opposed to the Webpage and Facebook. We had a vote and the the motion was past, But they are refusing to write the check (already approved and voted on) or even work with those that were getting the Webpage and Facebook setup. Te whole purpose of the webpage and such was a membership campaign over the summer months and "kick off" for our first meeting in October when the rest of the Board returns. So waiting for the rest of the Board defeats the purpose of the motion and g\membership campaign over the summer. There are several members furious over this. We are unsure what we can do since we are not Board members. We feel like we are at the mercy of these two board members with their own agenda. Please advise what steps we can take following the Robert's Rules of Order? Thank you

Since the motion in question was a motion adopted by the general membership, there is no need to wait for the rest of the board to do anything. The general membership has given the treasurer an order, and the treasurer is apparently refusing to follow instructions. The general membership can and should take action (no need to wait on the board). Do your bylaws say anything about special meetings of the general membership (a question already asked by Mr. Tesser)?

Incidentally, I like the image of a rouge board member :)

Deb Green, there's a number of options as presented already:

* call a special meeting of the general membership (if you can)

* have the members doing this pay for the website themselves, with the expectation of being reimbursed once the board meets again

A few more options:

* can you email the rest of the board? Don't want to digress into a whole discussion of whether or not electronic meetings can be held, but at the very least, surely the chair can email the board members refusing to do their duties with a reminder of what their duty is

* set up the Facebook page (free), and leave the web page to later (or possibly set up the website on a free site, such as blogger or weebly)

Thanks so much for the input! I am spending this summer researching, read, comparing and planning. I plan to attend the next meeting in the fall educated and prepared. I am sure I will have more questions, but I will spend time browsing the forum first. Again, thanks for all your input.

Archived