The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can this be construed as a request for resignation?

sMargaret

There was an email discussion by board members as to the content of a presentation that would be made by our president to an associated organization last week.

Briefly - the President stated what the presentation would be on a controversial subject, board members pointed out that the president didn't have the authority to decide this for our organization, president sent a strongly worded email to a new board member saying he's never had to ask people before and being President means he should be the leader, new board member stated that perhaps she should resign, then, as this is not the sort of organization she thought she was joining.

President then emailed: "Please stick around [new member], I am the one who will be leaving [organization] and will be announcing my resignation at the [associated organization] on Tuesday."

President did not state either controversial subject at Tuesday's associated organization meeting, nor did he announce any such resignation. President has not responded to emails or phone calls from board members after the meeting. I will note that President has a smart phone that he is supplied with by our organization.

We have a board meeting this coming week. Can we make a motion that his request for resignation be accepted? Can this be considered a notification of resignation?

Thank you for any guidance, and apologies if I went over-long!

There was an email discussion by board members as to the content of a presentation that would be made by our president to an associated organization last week.

Briefly - the President stated what the presentation would be on a controversial subject, board members pointed out that the president didn't have the authority to decide this for our organization, president sent a strongly worded email to a new board member saying he's never had to ask people before and being President means he should be the leader, new board member stated that perhaps she should resign, then, as this is not the sort of organization she thought she was joining.

President then emailed: "Please stick around [new member], I am the one who will be leaving [organization] and will be announcing my resignation at the [associated organization] on Tuesday."

President did not state either controversial subject at Tuesday's associated organization meeting, nor did he announce any such resignation. President has not responded to emails or phone calls from board members after the meeting. I will note that President has a smart phone that he is supplied with by our organization.

We have a board meeting this coming week. Can we make a motion that his request for resignation be accepted? Can this be considered a notification of resignation?

Thank you for any guidance, and apologies if I went over-long!

I would advise against it.

One further clarification - President "Please stick around [new member], I am the one who will be leaving [organization] and will be announcing my resignation at the [associated organization] on Tuesday." to the entire Board, not just one member.

THAT is not a resignation, and from what I understand, no resignation was given at the Tuesday meeting.

If someone tells you he'll give you a check on Tuesday and doesn't, you can't take that to the bank.

I'd advise you to contact this person for clarification, if his lack of resigning on Tuesday was somehow unclear. :)

THAT is not a resignation, and from what I understand, no resignation was given at the Tuesday meeting.

...And even if it were considered a resignation the Board would have to accept it first and the President can unilaterally withdraw it until the question is stated. So assuming that a member were to make a motion to accept the resignation the President merely has to say that he changed his mind and withdraws it and the whole thing would then be a nonstarter.

Could his statement be considered previous notice? If so, does the motion have to be explicitly made at the meeting or could a member stand and say, "The President gave previous notice of giving his resignation at this meeting. I move the previous question on his request to be excused from duty." If the latter, would such a motion eliminate his opportunity to withdraw the resignation even if the previous question is lost?

Could his statement be considered previous notice? If so, does the motion have to be explicitly made at the meeting or could a member stand and say, "The President gave previous notice of giving his resignation at this meeting. I move the previous question on his request to be excused from duty." If the latter, would such a motion eliminate his opportunity to withdraw the resignation even if the previous question is lost?

Previous notice is not required for a Request to be Excused from a Duty. If notice were given, that would in no way cause the motion to be placed before the assembly without it having been made.

If members want to get the president out of office, they should consider pursuing the applicable removal process. Accepting a nonexistent resignation is outside of their grasp.

Archived