The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-Physician member voting rights

Guest Emilia

The Medical Staff President would like to change the Bylaws to allow the Librarian to vote at our Continuing Medical Education Committee, is there such a rule that does now allow for this change in our Bylaws? It's always been the norm, at least from what I heard from others, that non-physician members do not have voting rights.

The Medical Staff President would like to change the Bylaws to allow the Librarian to vote at our Continuing Medical Education Committee, is there such a rule that does now allow for this change in our Bylaws? It's always been the norm, at least from what I heard from others, that non-physician members do not have voting rights.

A society is free to adopt any rules it may wish provided that, in the procedure of adopting them, it conforms to parliamentary law or its own existing rules. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 10, ll. 21-25.

In other words, as long as you follow the process for amending the bylaws, they can be amended to say anything you want, provided that they do not conflict with a higher governing document, such as a constitution, articles of incorporation, or procedural rules contained in federal, state, or local laws.

I'll assume you meant to write "not" and not "now" above.

As Dr. Stackpole notes, the process of amending (changing) your bylaws should be found in your bylaws, so follow that. The President almost certainly has no unilateral authority to make any changes. The "norm" as per RONR is in fact that non-members (no matter what their profession) of the body that is meeting have no rights, including the right to vote. What your bylaws say about that matter supersedes RONR.

I'll assume you meant to write "not" and not "now" above.

Why would you assume that? And anyway, it would only matter to the laconic types who like to reply in one word or less.

Why would you assume that?

Although either word could fit, it just seems to make better sense to me as "not" than as "now."

And anyway, it would only matter to the laconic types who like to reply in one word or less.

I've been called many things on this forum, but never laconic. And I'm sure there are some who wish I could limit my replies to one word or less. Good luck with that.

I've been called many things on this forum, but never laconic.

A possibly apocryphal story has it that Dorothy Parker, seated next to him at a dinner, said to him, "Mr. Coolidge, I've made a bet against a fellow who said it was impossible to get more than two words out of you." His famous reply: "You lose."

http://en.wikipedia....22Silent_Cal.22

Archived