The Official RONR Q & A Forums

steps for chairman to relinquish seat due to conflict of interest?

Guest Pat Baeske

He/she just announces that he is "turn[ing] the chair over to the vice-president" (p. 451) and leaves the lectern. The v-p presides until the issue is disposed of.

BTW, RONR makes no mention of "conflict of interest" as such. Do your bylaws? The closest RONR comes to the topic is on p. 407, line 21 ff.

Thank you.

Yes, conflict of interest is addressed as an item for which the chair not only vacates chairmanship but *also must leave the room and not participate in discussion.

So as I understand it, the chairman just announces he is vacating chairmanship (*and leaving the room till the next topic). Then the board elects a pro tem who conducts the topic. When finished with the topic, the pro tem resumes the seat as the board member, bringing the chairman back in to continue conducting the meeting. Right?

So as I understand it, the chairman just announces he is vacating chairmanship (*and leaving the room till the next topic). Then the board elects a pro tem who conducts the topic. When finished with the topic, the pro tem resumes the seat as the board member, bringing the chairman back in to continue conducting the meeting. Right?

Coupla points:

1) If you have an elected vice-president, and she is there, she automatically takes over the presiding job, not some other (elected) person. No vice-president? Then elected pro tem is correct.

2) You didn't say so before, but I take it that you are describing a meeting of the board. If you are describing a meeting of the general membership, then there is more wrong with your statement.

Let us know...

This anonymous guest, presumably Guest_Pat Baeske, says:

... Yes, conflict of interest is addressed as an item for which the chair not only vacates chairmanship but *also must leave the room and not participate in discussion....

But also, Guest_Pat Baeske says (post #5):

11:20 AM

I understand he cannot be compelled. I believe he will do so voluntarily....

I must note that the first statement seems to say that the chairman is, indeed, compelled. Where does the inconsistency come from?

Archived