The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debate against a motion

Leo

According to the bylaws, members of the board are delegates to the annual convention, along with other delegates representing their constituent units. Also according to the bylaws, a submitted resolution is approved by the board and presented at the convention, on behalf of the board, for adoption. Can a member of the board, being delegate, debate against the motion?

I think (OP can clarify) I interpret this differently. I think "Board members" refrs to the members of the Board of the member institutiuons, not the Board of the association meeting. So, for example, if this was the National Convention of the Raccoon Loges of the US and each Local Raccoon Lodge sent delegates to the annual convention and those delegates were board members of the local lodges, what would be the contraints on these board members of the local Raccoon Lodges?

Perhaps Leo can clarify.

. . . what would be the contraints on these board members of the local Raccoon Lodges?

Perhaps Leo can clarify.

There would be no constraints on their rights as members of (i.e. delegates to) the national convention simply because they happened to also be members of the board of their respective local lodges. What matters is that they're members of the body that is meeting (i.e. the convention).

According to the bylaws, members of the board are delegates to the annual convention, along with other delegates representing their constituent units. Also according to the bylaws, a submitted resolution is approved by the board and presented at the convention, on behalf of the board, for adoption. Can a member of the board, being delegate, debate against the motion?

Take a look at page 606, lines 15-30, to see if you think that what is said there may apply to your situation.

I think (OP can clarify) I interpret this differently. I think "Board members" refrs to the members of the Board of the member institutiuons, not the Board of the association meeting. So, for example, if this was the National Convention of the Raccoon Loges of the US and each Local Raccoon Lodge sent delegates to the annual convention and those delegates were board members of the local lodges, what would be the contraints on these board members of the local Raccoon Lodges?

In this case the delegates are members of the national board of the Raccoon Lodges of the US.

I believe page 606, lines 15 - 30. answers the question. The board at its meeting prior to the convention could adopt a motion with the appropriate wording indicating the members of the board shall support the motion in debate on the floor at the convention.

Well, the question as to whether or not a board can give instructions to delegates depends upon whether or not the board is the "constituent society or unit" being represented by those delegates (or is properly acting in behalf of such constituent society or unit pursuant to its authority). Only the entity being represented by a delegation can give instructions to that delegation. Based solely upon what has been posted so far, I'm not sure if this is the case, but you're the guy with the facts. :)

The board at its meeting prior to the convention could adopt a motion with the appropriate wording indicating the members of the board shall support the motion in debate on the floor at the convention.

But that fact was not part of the question you originally posed:

Can a member of the board, being delegate, debate against the motion?

You said nothing to indicate that the delegates were under any direction at all and, barring such direction, they would be free speak in debate, or not, as they chose. Just as we send delegates to Congress.

Answers to questions are always subject to change as additional facts are revealed. Or made up.

And to the specific question of directing a delegate to support a motion in debate, I'm not sure how enforceable that would be. How enthusiastic would you expect his support to be? Is it enough for him to simply rise and, in an emotionless monotone, say, "I've been instructed to support the adoption of this motion"?

Directing a delegate to vote a certain way is a different story.

Well, the question as to whether or not a board can give instructions to delegates depends upon whether or not the board is the "constituent society or unit" being represented by those delegates (or is properly acting in behalf of such constituent society or unit pursuant to its authority). Only the entity being represented by a delegation can give instructions to that delegation. Based solely upon what has been posted so far, I'm not sure if this is the case, but you're the guy with the facts.

Dan's most recent posting points out something I overlooked. Although members of the board are delegates to the convention, the local constituent units are the only units represented by the delegates. There is no bylaw indicating the board of directors is represented by any delegates.

Archived