The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parlimentary Procedure

Guest Secretary

How should this scenario be listed in minutes using Roberts Rules?

A revised job description was presented, in conjunction with a title change.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to approve the title change/job description as presented.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to amend the job title.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to withdraw the amended motion and keep the job description as originally requested.

Motion carried:

After a motion is made, seconded and approved...it can not be amended. The amendment should've been made before the vote was taken

on the original motion.

Except there is such a thing as Amending Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 305-310).

Secretary, see RONR pp. 468-471 for what should go into the minutes and pp.472-473 for a sample of what the minutes should look like.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to approve the title change/job description as presented.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to amend the job title.

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to withdraw the amended motion and keep the job description as originally requested.

Motion carried:

Let me know if I understand this correctly, as it is a bit hard to follow: A motion was made to approve the title change/job description, someone moved to amend it, the amendment was withdrawn, and the motion was approved as it was originally made.

If that is correct, the minutes should read like this: "Mr. X moved to approve the title change/job description as presented. The motion was adopted after debate."

You should use the exact wording of the actual motion in the minutes. If it really was as vague as "to approve the title change/job description as presented," it may be wise to file the title change/job description along with the minutes so people reading the minutes know what you're referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

A motion was made by XXX, seconded by XXXX, to approve the title change/job description as presented. . . .

Motion carried:

If that is correct, the minutes should read like this: "Mr. X moved to approve the title change/job description as presented. The motion was adopted after debate."

You should use the exact wording of the actual motion in the minutes. If it really was as vague as "to approve the title change/job description as presented," it may be wise to file the title change/job description along with the minutes so people reading the minutes know what you're referring to.

Josh,

Why is this motion any more vague than a motion "to adopt the resolution relating to ___, which I have delivered to the secretary"? Don't you think the minutes should include the text of the resolution?

Why is this motion any more vague than a motion "to adopt the resolution relating to ___, which I have delivered to the secretary"?

It's not.

Don't you think the minutes should include the text of the resolution?

Of course.

I don't have an objection to placing the title change/job description directly into the minutes, although it may be better to make reference to it and place the full text at the end if it is overly lengthy.

Don't you think the minutes should include the text of the resolution?

Of course.

I don't have an objection to placing the title change/job description directly into the minutes, although it may be better to make reference to it and place the full text at the end if it is overly lengthy.

OK. But, going back to my example, do you think it would be appropriate for the minutes to say that <<Mr. X moved "to adopt the resolution relating to ___, which I have delivered to the secretary">>, or <<Mr. X moved to adopt the resolution relating to ___, which he had delivered to the secretary>>, rather than simply saying that <<Mr. X moved the adoption of the following resolution: "...">>?

I'm trying to understand why you think the exact words used by a member in moving the adoption of a written motion, or the approval of a written proposal, should make a substantial difference in how the minutes are written.

OK. But, going back to my example, do you think it would be appropriate for the minutes to say that <<Mr. X moved "to adopt the resolution relating to ___, which I have delivered to the secretary">>, or <<Mr. X moved to adopt the resolution relating to ___, which he had delivered to the secretary>>, rather than simply saying that <<Mr. X moved the adoption of the following resolution: "...">>?

No, I do not think this would be appropriate.

I'm trying to understand why you think the exact words used by a member in moving the adoption of a written motion, or the approval of a written proposal, should make a substantial difference in how the minutes are written.

Quite frankly, I simply had not considered the applicability of your example to other comparable situations. I see now that in cases where the member/chair uses some shorthand to refer to a printed document, the text of RONR, 11th ed., pg. 469, lines 17-21 should be more properly be understood to refer to the actual document that is adopted by the assembly.

Archived