The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary fails to include previous notice in call

Guest Loose

So you give previous notice - you ask the Secretary to put your notice of intent to make a motion at the annual membership meeting in the meeting call. She fails to do this. Does this mean the meeting, when it convenes, has not been properly called and thus should be adjourned? Or does the person requesting the previous notice take his/her lumps and complain a whole lot, maybe move to censure the Secretary and ask for a special meeting of the membership in order to make his/her motion? In order to have a special meeting there are requirements laid out in the bylaws - in our case 10% of the members would have to go for it - in this case, would the requirement apply?

Or would you ask for an adjourned meeting far enough away so that the Secretary could give adequate previous notice for you? And adjourn without conducting any business?

Need an additional fact or two:

Did you give previous notice at the prior meeting? See pp. 121 ff. for the exact definition of what a "previous notice" entails.

What is the nature of the motion you want to make? What is it about the motion that requires some sort of previous notice?

The annual meeting will not be invalidated by the secretary's error; the upshot will be that your motion may not be properly introduced or may just require a 2/3 vote for adoption, depending on the nature of the motion.

Agreed, but what does a "majority of entire membership" have to do with the requirements to amend bylaws? Is that option in your bylaws in the "Amendments" section? Do your bylaws have rules for their own amendment?

"Take his lumps" is the answer to your initial question; a special meeting - or your next regular meeting - would be a perfectly good opportunity to consider the amendment, provided the bylaw amendment rules, including previous notice, are followed.

The previous notice could be given at the annual meeting if the next meeting is within a "quarter" (see p. 89) away.

No, we have just the annual membership meeting. No quarterlies. You're saying I couldn't just demand a special meeting due to the Secretary screwing up. I'd still have to get the group to vote to have a special meeting, presumably a majority vote (is that like a Priviledged motion raising question of privilege as in a request?), not the 10% requirement I'd need if I were petitioning outside of a meeting?

"Take his lumps" is the answer to your initial question; a special meeting - or your next regular meeting - would be a perfectly good opportunity to consider the amendment, provided the bylaw amendment rules, including previous notice, are followed.

The previous notice could be given at the annual meeting if the next meeting is within a "quarter" (see p. 89) away.

The assembly could also adopt a motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn. After the adjourned meeting is set, a member can give previous notice. Unless the society has specific rules governing previous notice, that would be sufficient. And it nicely takes the secretary out of the process (though the secretary still has the duty to record the notice in the minutes).

No, we have just the annual membership meeting. No quarterlies. You're saying I couldn't just demand a special meeting due to the Secretary screwing up. I'd still have to get the group to vote to have a special meeting, presumably a majority vote (is that like a Priviledged motion raising question of privilege as in a request?), not the 10% requirement I'd need if I were petitioning outside of a meeting?

The requirements in the bylaws must be followed in order to call a special meeting. The secretary's failure to include the previous notice in the call does not change the requirement. If an officer -- the president, perhaps -- can call a special meeting, you can ask him to call one. But then you still need to ensure that the secretary includes the notice in the call of the special meeting.

Archived