The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Committee and Executive session

BevHirz

I am a board member and attended an Executive Committee. During discussion I was told I would have

to leave because they were going in to Executive Session to discuss a personnel issue. I did not challenge

the request but feel it was incorrect as I am a board member. Can I have verification on a rule in Robert's

please?

Per RONR, the Executive Committee is made up of members of the Board, and as such is a "board within a board." (RONR 11th ed., p. 485) We'll assume (dangerous as that always is) your bylaws establish the Executive Committee as an entity separate from your Board.

You say you "attended an Executive Committee." Do you mean you attended a meeting of the Executive Committee? If that is the case, then as a non-member of the Executive Committee, you have no rights relative to it (per RONR) including the right to attend. If you (or any other non-members of the Executive Committee) are allowed to attend their meetings, it is only because they allow it. And they can disallow it (by majority vote, or unanimous consent) at any time, even if they aren't going into Executive Session.

• 3 weeks later...

Should information discussed in executive session at a school board meeting be discussed with non memebrs of the board? I.e spefics of why a staff member may have acted a certain way that potentially could cost them their job, or that she/he has an illness in the family that was distracting him or how members voted?

Should information discussed in executive session at a school board meeting be discussed with non memebrs of the board? I.e spefics of why a staff member may have acted a certain way that potentially could cost them their job, or that she/he has an illness in the family that was distracting him or how members voted?

Executive session specifically means that the participants have a duty to maintain confidentiality about what happened at the meeting. Discussing what happened at the meeting with nonmembers violates that obligation.

For future reference, this forum works better if you start a new topic to ask your new question (even if the question is related to something discussed in an existing thread/topic).

Maybe somehow these discussion threads could be made individual executive sessions, so that posters like Guest_Lenny would automatically start a new thread ...?

Perhaps by applying the CAPCHA code to every thread. Then everyone will enjoy the challenge.

I am a board member and attended an Executive Committee.

BevHirz, do you also have board meetings? Is the meeting of the board considered a different meeting than a meeting of the Executive Committee?

People do tend to get confused between Executive Board, Executive Committee, and Executive Session - all are very different things.

Archived